ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450M Steel Legend - Unable to Access BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOgre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450M Steel Legend - Unable to Access BIOS
    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:18am
Hey guys, first post here!

I have a B450M Steel Legend MOBO, and I'm not being able to access its BIOS. Mine is with version 3.30, and I can't access the BIOS in any way, either by clicking F2 at startup, or using Windows Advanced Boot Settings, or using AsRock's Restart to UEFI.

When restarting, it's stuck in the black screen. Then, I need to reset to come back to Windows.

It's with the XMP enabled (I have 16GB 3200MHz - 2x8GB installed) and I just replaced the DC fans (without control) with fans with PWM control, and I would like to configure them.

In addition, I bought another equal pair of 16GB (2x8GB) to increase my RAM to 32GB (I work with audio) and I would like to check the BIOS if something happens after including those RAMs (which should arrive next week).

Do you have any idea what to do?
Thanks
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 3:42pm
Try different graphic card Display Port or HDMI outlets. I had few instances when one port only switches on the monitor once Windows booting starts, while other port switches on monitor before the POST. I have no idea what the reason for this stupidity is, but it's there, especially with multi GPU set ups
folding@home
TheOgre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOgre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:02pm
Damn! That is non-sense.

I know it doesn't have much to say about it, but the MOBO is new, I have the PC for about two months only. I had accessed the BIOS before, but had not tried to enter for a few weeks. I use only HDMI in my system (don't even have another cable here, if that was the case).

But anyway. Yesterday I tried, once again, to enter during the boot using the DEL, and this time it worked. I've already changed the fans control to PWM (they were all set to AUTO). Then, I entered Windows, restarted and tried again (DEL), and it worked again. Well, I don't know what was going on, but it seems that momentarily, it is solved. If it happens again, I'll take the battery out to clean CMOS.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by TheOgre TheOgre wrote:

Damn! That is non-sense.

I know it doesn't have much to say about it, but the MOBO is new, I have the PC for about two months only. I had accessed the BIOS before, but had not tried to enter for a few weeks. I use only HDMI in my system (don't even have another cable here, if that was the case).

But anyway. Yesterday I tried, once again, to enter during the boot using the DEL, and this time it worked. I've already changed the fans control to PWM (they were all set to AUTO). Then, I entered Windows, restarted and tried again (DEL), and it worked again. Well, I don't know what was going on, but it seems that momentarily, it is solved. If it happens again, I'll take the battery out to clean CMOS.

Maybe F2 doesn't work, and only DEL works :D
Also, some motherboards have generic USB2 slots which are meant for BIOS flashing from USB drive. These USB slots usually do not need fancy drivers and work without issues before windows loads up.
So it is possible that during POST, before windows loads up your keyboard wasn't getting the signal.
Oh, and one more thing. I had a motherboard which would not do anything if I was smashing F2/DEL key right from the beginning. If I waited for POST screen (Asrock Logo) and then quickly started to tap F2/DEL, then it would load into BIOS.
folding@home
TheOgre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOgre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:20pm
DEL solved it yesterday, so it's DEL from now.

But I think the fastboot is enabled, 'cause I don't even see the AsRock logo appearing. It enters in Windows logon screen in about 10 seconds, so I needed to turn it on and start to click DEL right away.
TheOgre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOgre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:21pm
But I tried DEL to, not only F2, as I didn't remember which was the button to press.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by TheOgre TheOgre wrote:

DEL solved it yesterday, so it's DEL from now.

But I think the fastboot is enabled, 'cause I don't even see the AsRock logo appearing. It enters in Windows logon screen in about 10 seconds, so I needed to turn it on and start to click DEL right away.

Ooh, enabling fastboot is not advisable, as it is very fast and only way to access BIOS with Fastboot is to reset it. If by some miracle your fastboot is enabled in your BIOS, disable it
folding@home
TheOgre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOgre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 10:41pm
Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look if it's enabled or not (and disable it if so).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic