ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 Pro4 cpu voltage too high

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnishka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 Pro4 cpu voltage too high
    Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:23am
According to several hardware monitor programs the motherboard raises voltage on cpu up to 1.375 when under full load in Prime95 or Aida stress test. In BIOS all settings are default. Due to such high voltage the power consumption of my cpu (i7-8700) reaches 211 watt which is crazy. The temperatures are high as well (95 c with Cryorig h7). I had to manually set lower cpu voltage on motherboard (Vcore) to 1.20v. After that my cpu runs cooler now ( 85c max) and consumes less power. I believe it is BIOS problem which increases the voltage too high for some reason. I am using latest bios version 1.30. Does anyone experiencing same issue?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Arnishka Arnishka wrote:

According to several hardware monitor programs the motherboard raises voltage on cpu up to 1.375 when under full load in Prime95 or Aida stress test. In BIOS all settings are default. Due to such high voltage the power consumption of my cpu (i7-8700) reaches 211 watt which is crazy. The temperatures are high as well (95 c with Cryorig h7). I had to manually set lower cpu voltage on motherboard (Vcore) to 1.20v. After that my cpu runs cooler now ( 85c max) and consumes less power. I believe it is BIOS problem which increases the voltage too high for some reason. I am using latest bios version 1.30. Does anyone experiencing same issue?

Without naming the several monitoring programs, we have no idea if they display the VID or VCore.

Which are you referring to, the VID or VCore?

Why would you use the stock/default VCore settings in the UEFI? They are always set very high to compensate for the differences in processors, to insure that every processor will POST in the board.

Also, using the Auto VCore mode and voltage will simply let your processor select the VCore from its built in VID table. VID is normally higher than the VCore, but that is how Intel programs the VIDs. The highest VID programmed into your processor by Intel is 1.52V.

You've really never experienced the high default VCore in a mother board? That is normal. Of course you should manually set the VCore to an appropriate level for your processor, that is also normal. Every processor is different, even within the same model.

You're also using the new six core processor from Intel. Did you think it would use the same VCore as as four core processor? You cannot compare this processor with others regarding what its VCore "should" be.

You also have 50% more cores than previous Intel processors of this type. Did you expect the power consumption to be the same as a four core processor?

Arnishka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnishka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 2:18pm
I used CPUID HWmonitor and CPU-Z latest versions and was looking for Vcore numbers. The TDP for i7-8700 is the same as i7-7700 which is 65W so I was surprised to see 200W on 8700 because 7700 was around 100W. That's 100% difference. So far I set 1.25v and level 1 Load-Line Calibration. I tried to put Auto and for Load-Line Calibration but I got BSOD under full load. I am new to changing voltage so if someone has any advice I would appreciate that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic