ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ab350 pro 4 impossible to turn off csm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamburgler901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ab350 pro 4 impossible to turn off csm
    Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 10:16am
I recently had an incident where I turned off my computer while it was starting up (possibly updating?) which caused me to be unable to boot to windows anymore. I originally installed windows 10 but had upgraded to 11. After trying a few different things I decided to just reinstall Windows. This turned out to not be so easy as I kept seeing a bluescreen when booting from my installation usb. I tried windows 10 and 11. In the end I was forced to use csm mode. Is there any way to get csm off to work on this motherboard ? I'm on bios L8.02 with a ryzen 7 1700. Thanks
hamburgler901 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamburgler901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 11:12pm
I used diskpart and 'list disk' to determine my bootable usb was mbr. I had used windows media creation tool. It makes sense to me that a mbr bootable media would not work with csm off.

Next I used rufus to create a new bootable usb with GPT. GPT should work with UEFI. With csm off, I still get a bluescreen winload.efi error when trying to boot from the install media.
hamburgler901 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamburgler901 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 5:26am
I finally got this to work by reflashing the bios. I had tried clearing cmos previously and it didn't help.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 11:23pm
Thanks for the update and for sharing your fix hamburgler901. A BIOS reflash can
sometimes resolve gremlins though I would always use it as a last resort unless your
board supports BIOS flashback, I mention this for anyone else reading this post in
the future. If you have a BIOS flashback option then there is no harm in trying it
but if you do not, always approach BIOS flashing with caution, a bad flash will
brick a board and cause all kinds of hassle returning/fixing it.

Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic