ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970DE3/U3S3 bricked during BIOS update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoidberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970DE3/U3S3 bricked during BIOS update
    Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:00pm
BIOS update killed my Windows("BSOD" with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) and my machine now even does not want to boot.
I tried putting BIOS on FAT32 USB and booting up of it after setting clear CMOS jumper to second and third pin, and then returning it to first and second.
Nothing happens.
Any way to fix this?

Edited by Zoidberg - 06 Nov 2016 at 7:01pm
whoop whoop whoop
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:22pm
This board doesn't have Crashless BIOS unfortunately.

A new BIOS chip is in your future.

Either order one direct from ASRock from the link below, a capable computer shop you trust, or eBay.

http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:29pm
Welcome to the forums.

First up I would like to clarify what bricked actually means:

Bricked (in regards to motherboards) : The board will no longer post, typically caused by a bad BIOS flash. The term is used because in this state the board may as well be a brick for all it's practical use in a PC. 

Your issue is not a bricked board it is a glitch caused by the flash. I don't mean to be critical here, just informative. We have responses we give in the case of a bricked board (easily correctable in most cases) but these do not apply here.

Could you provide your full system specs for us please.

The watchdog timer error is usually to do with a timing issue, either the CPU is being misread or the RTC (real time clock) is out of whack. You can try performing a full CMOS clear as described here, this should reset the RTC and rule it out as the culprit. 

[edit] Or did I misunderstand your post? Did the windows flash utility cause a BSOD during the flash process and subsequently the board no longer posts?

Edited by Xaltar - 06 Nov 2016 at 9:31pm
Zoidberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoidberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:37pm
I am thinking about ordering this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-Chip-ASROCK-970DE3-U3S3-/261051878448
How do I replace BIOS chip on a MBO?
Do I need some tooling or I can do it with my hands/knife?
Is this tutorial fine for my MBO model?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V67YRlsBEoY
whoop whoop whoop
Zoidberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoidberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

First up I would like to clarify what bricked actually means:

Bricked (in regards to motherboards) : The board will no longer post, typically caused by a bad BIOS flash. The term is used because in this state the board may as well be a brick for all it's practical use in a PC. 

Your issue is not a bricked board it is a glitch caused by the flash. I don't mean to be critical here, just informative. We have responses we give in the case of a bricked board (easily correctable in most cases) but these do not apply here.

Could you provide your full system specs for us please.

The watchdog timer error is usually to do with a timing issue, either the CPU is being misread or the RTC (real time clock) is out of whack. You can try performing a full CMOS clear as described here, this should reset the RTC and rule it out as the culprit. 

[edit] Or did I misunderstand your post? Did the windows flash utility cause a BSOD during the flash process and subsequently the board no longer posts?

edit is correct. PC is as good as dead, not that Windows do not boot, nothing shows up on the screen.
Also your link is dead.
edit: I found topic you linked in your link. I doubt it would help... like I said I tried clear CMOS (without removing the battery but still).

Edited by Zoidberg - 06 Nov 2016 at 9:49pm
whoop whoop whoop
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:56pm
The clear CMOS option is a long shot, more pertinent to what I thought the issue was before the edit.

Swapping out the BIOS chip is pretty straight forward, I usually use a small screwdriver to gently pry out the old chip then making sure the new one is oriented the right way (the small semi circular cutout on the socket should align with the small semi circular divot on the top of the chip on one side), gently push it into the socket being careful the pins do not bend.  

I prefer getting my BIOS chips from the source (ASRock in this case) but if the Ebay chip seller has a good rep and feedback you should be OK with it. It isn't a huge sum of money to worry about anyway. 

Edited by Xaltar - 06 Nov 2016 at 9:58pm
Zoidberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoidberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:01pm
Well I am mostly irritated that I managed to fry my MBO BIOS by following official instructions...
I know after reading this forum it is bad idea to run updater on OCed PC, but IIRC software never said anything about that, only to close other programs...

I have ordered the chip, just try to fix it for fun, I have another MBO ordered since I can not wait 5 days for BIOS delivery- I need my PC soon...

Thank you all for the help. Again I wish it never came to this, but ignoring that help was quick and precise.
whoop whoop whoop
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:51pm
Good luck with the fix Wink

Sadly most update instructions don't mention things like overclocks etc. It is also never wise to use the windows flash option, the instant flash option from within the BIOS is by far the safest and most reliable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic