ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Octuner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Octuner
    Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 7:57am
Technical help via email does not understand enough English nor write enough clear English to answer this question.  I have a Asrock970 m pro3 motherboard with a AMD FX-4350 Vishera Quad-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM3+ processor.  What temperatures will Octuner display?  Is  there a "MB" and a CPU temperature and is the CPU temperature actually from the CPU or is it the socket temperature?
TomTom
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by TomTom TomTom wrote:

Technical help via email does not understand enough English nor write enough clear English to answer this question.

hehe, sometimes. Just sometimes.

What I might suggest since I've never used Octuner is to compare a monitoring programs readings that you are familiar against what Octuner is stating.

Remember though to only open one instance of any monitoring program at a time. Two opened and they "compete' for the data from the chip and usually will give false reading with two opened at once.

HTH more
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by TomTom TomTom wrote:

Technical help via email does not understand enough English nor write enough clear English to answer this question.  I have a Asrock970 m pro3 motherboard with a AMD FX-4350 Vishera Quad-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM3+ processor.  What temperatures will Octuner display?  Is  there a "MB" and a CPU temperature and is the CPU temperature actually from the CPU or is it the socket temperature?

Perhaps support did not know what OCTuner is, since that is not a name that ASRock uses.

Your board uses the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility. Of course, I'd want to know exactly what you're asking, particularly about the CPU temperatures.

As wardog sorta said, the best monitoring programs are usually the third party programs. They will be honest (short of mistakes), which is not what I've seen from at least one other mobo manufacture.
TomTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 12:46pm
Ok.  Given the utility is ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility what is the temperature read out.  Is it socket temperature or the temperature somewhere in the CPU.  It says CPU temperature but It is not clear any CPU outputs such.
TomTom
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 12:38pm
wardog, which AMD CPU temperature is the one that reads sub-ambient, like I get on my 970 Performance/3.1? Socket or processor temperature? The one that I get 1° C on at times, while the other is 28° C?

AFAIK, the AMD internal processor temperature diodes are not meant for use for user temperature monitoring when the CPU is below what, 35C - 40C?, just as Intel's were at one time.

So a mobo manufacture created the socket temperature, which provides a more reasonable temperature reading at lower CPU temperatures.

TomTom, what CPU temperature values do you get from AXTU? Mine were ~28C at idle, for an FX-9590 in a Fatal1ty 970 Performance 3.1. That I assume is the socket temperature.

The internal AMD CPU temperature I saw in another program, HWiNFO64, showed the 1C at idle, but would suddenly show 40C under load. That's because the internal temperature sensing diode is not meant to read a temperature below ~40C, and its purpose is to detect a CPU over heating situation, not provide temperature feedback to the user.

I also saw the socket temperature in HWiNFO, which matched my board's F-Stream utility reading, the equivalent software to your AXTU.

The best I know is you are seeing the socket temperature in AXTU.

Intel processors used to be like this years ago, but they changed their temperature sensors to provide better readings for user monitoring. Hopefully AMD will do the same with Zen. At one time, Intel chipsets did not report a temperature reading below 50C, since it served no purpose, and the max temperature was ~120C.

I see you gave up on this thread already. Hopefully some other AMD users will answer your other thread, or this one too.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 2:29pm
This is almost a rigged question as each program might take the reading from one of two places.

That's why I suggested comparing programs. Too, better yet, get AMDs own AMD OverDrive utility.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic