ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

960GM-VGS3 FX - latest possible Processor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickyMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 960GM-VGS3 FX - latest possible Processor
    Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 2:34am
hi everyone,

I hope, some of you can help me with the following question:

can you tell me, if the following processor will work with the 960GM-VGS3 FX: 

AMD FX Series FX-8350-Wraith 8x 4.00GHz So.AM3+ BOX

is there maybe a better or latest processor working with this motherboard?

I would like to keep the motherboard an buy a new processor and GPU (actually i use the GForce 960x).
Please do not write something like "buy yourself an new motherboard". just want to know what the best processor for this one is.

cheers and thanks for any answers.
Micky
MK
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 2:56am
It is not on the list of supported CPUs for that board, the 8100, 8120, 8140, 8300, 8310, 8320 and 8370 are listed. This is a budget board and while it supports 8 core CPUs it is far from ideal for use with them, especially if you plan to overclock. 

The 8350 is a refreshed (no significant difference over other 83XX CPUs other than clock speeds) CPU that comes with AMD's newer Wraith cooler. 

My advice would be to either go with an FX 6XXX CPU or get a more capable motherboard like this: 

Edited by Xaltar - 30 Nov 2016 at 2:56am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 5:04am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

This is a budget board and while it supports 8 core CPUs it is far from ideal for use with them, especially if you plan to overclock.

I'll go farther and say a firm No. No to any of the FX silicon. Sorry ASRock, yea I'm a Moderator and all here, but still No.

And if I hurt Xaltars feelings I'm sorry dude, but the 990FX Extreme3 isn't one I'd suggest either. With all my years being an "AMD Fanboy' experience tells me tha 990FX Extreme3 is not enough for an enjoyable and fun  time with an FX processor mounted to it. There just isn't enough voltage regulation, read: VRM Section, on either board to truly support an FX. Regardless of what the suggested Specs state on the web site.

The OPs 960 board is rated TO 95W

The 990FX Extreme3 is rated TO 140W

As a manufacturer there just isn't enough space to put a full fledged VRM Section on a mATX board. And Xaltars 990FX Extreme3 suggestion is a compromise price wise but it still has a IMO too weak of VRM's for a User to draw an uninterrupted enjoyable experience with. Overclocking or not. Too much draw from any FX to reliably provide any longevity for the User.

Edited by wardog - 30 Nov 2016 at 5:05am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 5:20am
There ya have it, our resident AMD guru hath spoken Cool

I never get hurt feelings when someone speaks from superior experience Wink

What board would you recommend Wardog? I only mentioned the Extreme 3 because, as you mentioned, it was a cost compromise but still based on the 990FX chipset. I don't own an FX CPU so can only speak from what I have read and other users experiences. My Phenom II x4 955 works a treat in my budget 960GM /U3S3 FX but I have never tried an FX CPU in the board, mostly for the reasons Wardog mentioned, the power design/VRM phases are simply inadequate for reliable long term use. Fewer power phases = lower efficiency + more heat. Add to that the lack of any kind of VRM cooling and you are asking for burned out VRMs and possibly a damaged CPU. 

Simple answers:

Will that board support an FX 8 core CPU?
Yes

Will you be happy with it?
No

This isn't because it is a bad board, it is simply a budget board. The FX line of CPUs has proven power hungry as well as being brutal on the VRMs of budget and even mid range boards. I will now leave this to Wardog as he is by far more up to date with AMD CPUs than I.
MickyMick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickyMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 5:35am
ok, thanks to both of you.
i try to follow your thoughts an arguments, nut all in all it is still not easy for me.
as i understand, i could buy a 
AMD FX Series FX-8370 8x 4.00GHz So.AM3+ BOX
for that board. Is that right?

I ask, because I already own that bord with a 6300 Processor. I want to keep that board and change CPU-Processor and buy a new GPU. This, I think, is the cheapest way to optimize that system a little bit.
or are there better way to optimize in the same budget?

MK
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 5:47am
My vote would be keep the 6300 for now and wait for Zen and Kaby lake to hit the market. That board is not only a budget option but it is also rather old now and you may have compatibility issues with new graphics cards.

An FX 8XXX will not improve that setup much even if it were reliable on that board. Honestly, you would be better served replacing the board with something newer. I still have a similar board in use in one of my older systems but that is using a Phenom II and an old Radeon HD 5850. 

What are your full system specs? We can't really help you decide on an upgrade path if we don't know the full specs. 

If you are looking for simply a gaming performance boost then you could look into getting something like a GTX 780 or R9 290 for that board. Those GPUs should work without compatibility issues and provide very decent performance at 1080p. That would net you far better performance than say an FX 8370 + GTX 750ti or AMD equivalent. Put your budget into a new, faster GPU rather than upgrade CPU + GPU with a weak GPU.

Edited by Xaltar - 30 Nov 2016 at 5:54am
MickyMick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickyMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 6:22am
thanks a lot!

so i will buy a new GPU first. Then i will look after good other components. i fact, all i want is to play some latest games in fullHD scale in high resolution, like titanfall 2.
do you recommend the GTX 780 or could i buy a GTX 970,too?

thanks for the answers, because i do not know much bout pc´s and, like i wrote, i won't to optimize just a little.

Cheers 

MK
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

My vote would be keep the 6300 for now and wait for Zen and Kaby lake to hit the market. That board is not only a budget option but it is also rather old now and you may have compatibility issues with new graphics cards.

An FX 8XXX will not improve that setup much even if it were reliable on that board. Honestly, you would be better served replacing the board with something newer.

I couldn't have said it better.

The 6300 is perky. Buy a GPU to match it and maybe some 2133 memory.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by MickyMick MickyMick wrote:

thanks a lot!

so i will buy a new GPU first. Then i will look after good other components. i fact, all i want is to play some latest games in fullHD scale in high resolution, like titanfall 2.
do you recommend the GTX 780 or could i buy a GTX 970,too?

thanks for the answers, because i do not know much bout pc´s and, like i wrote, i won't to optimize just a little.

Cheers 

The GTX 970 should work fine in your board and would be an excellent choice. The only concern is if your system has an adequate power supply. 

What power supply do you have in your system, make and model?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic