ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thunderbolt 4 AIC not appearing in device manager
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thunderbolt 4 AIC not appearing in device manager

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2H Media Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thunderbolt 4 AIC not appearing in device manager
    Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 8:45am
My new Thunderbolt 4 AIC is not appearing in the device manager, nothing happens when a device is plugged into it, and I do not have any unknown devices or Thunderbolt devices appearing in the device manager. Also, Thunderbolt Control Center lists the Controller driver version as "N/A"

The card is slotted into the second PCIE lane. I have temporarily removed my GPU to make this possible.
The USB cable is connected to the card and to the motherboard's USB_5_6 header. I have also tried the USB_3_4 header.
The Thunderbolt 4 cable is connected to the card and to the motherboard's Thunderbolt AIC Connector.
As described on page 42 of the motherboard's manual, I have moved the jumper cap from PD_RESET_1 (pins 2-3) to RTD3 (pins 3-4) - This seems odd as the manual for the AIC describes this as the AMD configuration, and this is an Intel board. I initially tried the default configuration for Intel. There was no change.
I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and enabled Thunderbolt support.
I have downloaded the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller software ver:Rev86_3 from the Thunderbolt 4 AIC R2.0 page.
I was unable to install the drivers from the disk, as Windows flagged them as vulnerable. - I did turn off some windows security settings in an earlier attempt but ended up on a fresh install of Windows after eventually ending up with a blue screen. The current install has the Controller software mentioned above.

Here is some more info that might be helpful:

Model Name 1: Z790 NOVA WIFI
Model Name 2: THUNDERBOLT 4 AIC R2.0
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K   3.20 GHz
Memory: 64.0 GB Crucial DDR5 Pro
GPU: Asus ROG Strix Pro (Removed for Troubleshooting)
Storage: 2X 1TB NVME M.2

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Any help you can provide to allow my system to see my AIC would be greatly appreciated. I've seen a couple of posts from a few years ago by people who have solved this issue but I'm not seeing a solution that I can replicate.
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 3:48pm
it should work - it is the compatibility list. If the tb4 card is not faulty and asrock knows about the issues it should work with next mb bios update. BTW does it work in linux?

I too anticipate the need of installing USB controller, thats why i paid attention to the motherboard pcie lanes configuration and got a motherboard with pcie4x4 connected to the CPU.

looks like the intended slot for running the card in your case is:
Chipset:
- 1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2), supports x4 mode*

I have my doubts if you will be able to archive pci3x4 speeds through this, but maybe intel cpu-chipset link is better than amd. I tried running NVME drive throught chipset and the speeds were infirior than when it was routed to the cpu.
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
2H Media View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2H Media Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 4:10pm
Good questions. I agree that it should work, based on the list. That's why I'm holding out hope that I've missed something obvious.

Even if the speeds turn out to be limited, I will be satisfied with being able to use the card at all.

I'm hoping the hardware is okay. I have another of the same AIC I can test with but its intended for an identical system and I was hoping not to have to open it until I confirm that everything works as intended.

My hope is that this turns out to be a driver issue but I don't spend enough time in device manager to know what I should expect. Since Thunderbolt isn't showing up in Device Manager at all, I'm leaning towards a hardware or BIOS issue. I would expect a device with missing drivers to show up as an unknown device, which is not happening currently. However, I may be wrong in that assumption.

I'm sorry to say I can't comment on the Linux question. I've only tried it on Windows 11. One of my last-ditch troubleshooting efforts may be to attempt an install on Windows 10 but with Microsoft discontinuing support for Windows 10, I'm really hoping to get it working on Windows 11.
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by 2H Media 2H Media wrote:

Good questions. I agree that it should work, based on the list. That's why I'm holding out hope that I've missed something obvious.

Even if the speeds turn out to be limited, I will be satisfied with being able to use the card at all.

IMO the card need to be placed in the particular slot i mentioned.

If you want to try the other PCIE slots, remove the nvme drive from M2_1 because those share lanes.

2H Media View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2H Media Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 1:00am
That's where it is now. Unfortunately, it's still not working. Also, I made sure to skip M2_1 when installing the NVME drives for exactly that reason. Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully we can find something else to try.
2H Media View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2H Media Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 1:33pm
It turns out I was the problem - I had the cables swapped on the AIC itself, since they have matching headers. The card is now appearing in windows and detects my Thinkpad TB4 docking station. Still not perfect - I haven't been able to detect my displays yet but at least I'm seeing the AIC now.
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 11:04pm
very nice,

does it work it both slots we discussed?

how you got the cards? those are not available in my country in official distribution (im in EU)

the display is provided through the tb4 card displayport input

Edited by M440 - 28 Jun 2024 at 11:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic