ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX Extreme6 CSM problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assemblerhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 990FX Extreme6 CSM problem
    Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:07am
Asrock 990FX Extreme6, UEFI v1.40

Have an LSI 9211-4i /  SAS2004 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Spitfire] card.

Version of LSI Firmware and BIOS :
Firmware 2114ir.bin Version no: 20.00.07.00 Release date: 11-FEB-16
BIOS mptsas2.rom Version no: 7.39.02.00 Release date: 03-AUG-15

Running Windows 7 Pro x64 and  Gentoo Linux x86_64 on separate drives. With CSM "enabled" and Storage opROM set to Legacy ...

The LSI Config does launch ... then hard locks the system in the first screen. Tried going the UEFI route per FAQ ( Q&A-97 | 319 ). That resulted in NO controller/No drives showing in the UEFI.
System will NOT boot in that configuration.

Last I checked, Windows 7 doesn't support UEFI. Win 7 won't boot without CSM "enabled".

How do I get the LSI Config Utility, on-board the LSI card, to work?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by assemblerhead assemblerhead wrote:

Asrock 990FX Extreme6, UEFI v1.40

Have an LSI 9211-4i /  SAS2004 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Spitfire] card.

Version of LSI Firmware and BIOS :
Firmware 2114ir.bin Version no: 20.00.07.00 Release date: 11-FEB-16
BIOS mptsas2.rom Version no: 7.39.02.00 Release date: 03-AUG-15

Running Windows 7 Pro x64 and  Gentoo Linux x86_64 on separate drives. With CSM "enabled" and Storage opROM set to Legacy ...

The LSI Config does launch ... then hard locks the system in the first screen. Tried going the UEFI route per FAQ ( Q&A-97 | 319 ). That resulted in NO controller/No drives showing in the UEFI.
System will NOT boot in that configuration.

Last I checked, Windows 7 doesn't support UEFI. Win 7 won't boot without CSM "enabled".

How do I get the LSI Config Utility, on-board the LSI card, to work?

Not sure what you mean by going the UEFI route? Are you referring to this FAQ file:

http://www.asrock.com/support/QA/TSDQA-97.pdf

You can only set CSM to Disabled if Windows was installed for UEFI booting. That is, with CSM Disabled during the Windows installation.

Windows 7 can support UEFI booting, but the Win 7 installation folder/file layout has a bug that prevents it from working. It can be fixed, but you would need to install Win 7 again with the file layout fix, and set CSM to Disabled. So Win 7 as is does not support UEFI booting. I've used the fix for Win 7 and it worked.

This link contains a guide to do that: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

I don't think you need to install Win 7 in UEFI mode to get your LSI card working. Don't know why you think you do. I could be wrong.

I hope you are using AHCI mode for the AMD SATA controller, even if you are not using it. That will help with the following.

Try setting the Storage OpROM policy option to UEFI Only, with CSM Enabled. Well... that might fail as well. I'm not sure what will work for you here.

I'm wondering if the UEFI/BIOS chip of 32MB in your board can deal with the LSI Option ROM? That's on the small side.

assemblerhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assemblerhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 10:53am
Thanks for responding.Big smile

I have tried the CSM Storage opROM toggle set to all three states ( Do-Not-Launch / UEFI-Only / Legacy-Only )

The AHCI mode setting ( for the AMD SATA Controller ) can interfere with ATAPI/SFF drives. ( CD / DVD / Blu-ray ) I tried this setting with the Blu-ray on SATA port 1 and then port 5. Both Windows and Linux have problems with optical drives connected to AHCI Controllers ( i.e. its no longer an ATAPI device ... instead its recognized as a defective / non-responsive hard drive. )

Side Note : SATA port 5, recommended for Optical drives, is "multi-dma-word-2" mode under IDE. That kills a Blu-ray drive.Shocked
( I need the Blu-ray on SATA port 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, for UDMA to work. )

I will try again with ALL ports set to AHCI, just to double-check.

Question #1 :
Is it possible to to up-size the on-board UEFI/BIOS memory ?EPROM?
( Covered by a "heat-sink", I can't tell if it is a ZIF type Socket. )

Question #2 :
Or will I have to flash the card with EFI Firmware and reload both OS installs?Ouch
( Note : the EFI Firmware claims to be for BSD. )

Any info helps. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic