ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fm2A88X Extreme4+ freeze only with A10 7890k

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hgonzale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fm2A88X Extreme4+ freeze only with A10 7890k
    Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 2:14am
I have a AsRock FM2A88X Extreme 4+ with bios 3.20

Memory: G.Skill F3-2400C11D-16GXM
Hard disk: 4 WD Blue 1 TB
1 Adaptec SCSI Card fir DAT72
Cooler: Blizzard  T2

Not overclock

Only the momery loading the XMP profile 1 for getting the 2400 Mhz

I started about  1 1/2 year with the same configuration but with AMD A6 6400k, after one month I upgraded to A8 6600k, after 6 months I upgraded to A10 7850 and the last week I upgraded to A10 7890k.

Sometimes the system hangs, with or without load. I do SETI in the night but only few times crash in the night. In the day it crash while I am working, with or without load.

Is not a thermal issue, the THERMAL MARGIN in the day is about 40 degrees, in the night with SETI is about 25 degress.

Thinking, the new hardware is the CPU, but I exchanged it two times and the problem continues.

With the last one I received, I didn't used the Blizzard cooler and keep the AMD Super cooler (included and the included thermal compound but the same, today the system crashed 2 times, one in linux and one in windows.

In windows I am using the lasted Crisom drivers and in linux also, the lastest one from AMD.

If I get back to my A10 7950k (still in my hands) the system works perfectly.

I did stress process to the CPU and the memory for hours, using heavy load, prime95 and other software (i don't remember, I am writing in linux this) and the system works perfectly for our, but working, sometime (doing different things) the system freeze totally..

Maybe is something in the BIOS.... I don't know

Also, I did a full test with memtest86 and nothing

Thank you

Edited by hgonzale - 08 Jun 2016 at 6:01pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 11:19am
My educated guess is it's the F3-2400C11D-16GM causing this.

G.Skill only lists compatibility of these sticks for Intel Z77, Z87, and Z97 motherboards. Not a good sign.
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c11d-16gxm

I realize that's not what you want to hear so I'd at least test my theory by testing with a set that G.Skill Certifies to run with the board you have.
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=696&model=1754

Edited by wardog - 09 Jun 2016 at 11:20am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 12:59pm
Try disabling C6 in the UEFI. It seems to have resolved the freezing for a number of people using that board and certain "refresh" (Godavari) APUs.
hgonzale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hgonzale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:01pm
Thank you Xaltar.
I did yesterday after reading a lot.

Now, I have two question.
1.- Is so different the the 7850 to the 7890 for having this? I supposed (even, different internal code name) the only difference is the speed and GPU speed..... but anyway, since yesterday running without C6

2.- How much is the difference in watts (or something like this) of running with/without C6 state.

Thank you
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 3:37pm
The 7890, 7870 and 7860 are not just a higher clocked 7850 no matter what you may read on the web. If you look at more reputable review sites you will note that they mention refinements. While yes, in all likelihood they are harvested from the same wafer as the 7850 there is quite a lot that happens after the die is manufactured. All CPUs have, for lack of the right term, firmware. Changing values in this firmware can drastically alter the behavior of a CPU. This is one of the ways intel (for example) will differentiate an i5 and an i7, hyperthreading is disabled as well as part of the cache to create an i5 out of what would otherwise have been an i7 with perhaps a small portion of defective cache. In some cases the manufacturer will go a step further and actually physically laser cut the die to prevent the end user trying to re-enable a feature or unlock cores. 

The end result is that the 7860+ CPU range differ in more ways than just clock speed from the 7850 and earlier CPUs. One of the key refinements was improved TDP in order to handle the higher clocks and this I suspect is what is not playing nice with the C6 state as it was configured for 7850 and earlier. 

As to how much impact disabling C6 has on the power saving/power consumption I am afraid I can't say without testing it myself and I don't have a board for my 7870k at present. I would imagine not too much as C6 is just one part of the power saving features. 
hgonzale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hgonzale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 3:32am
My friends.. Thanks a lot. The problem is in the C6 State. After disabling it and testing for some days, the freeze are gone...... You are the best
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic