ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

890fx Deluxe5 BIOS update issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linthat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 890fx Deluxe5 BIOS update issues
    Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 9:53pm
Hey All,

I've seen where people have been able to update their BIOS to version L2.01F in order to get newer video cards to work.  I recently purchased an MSI R9 390x w/8Gigs of memory and when I plug it into the PCI slot I get nothing on the screen.  The motherboard shows the typical error that there's something going on with the video.

I was able to update the motherboard BIOS from version 1.2 to 2.0, but I had to use the windows version because the Instant Flash would never find the files on the USB stick.  After the update, I still received the same errors and that's when I found that I needed to move on to the beta BIOS update in order to get things to work.  But here's the problem, no matter what I do, I cannot get the Instant Flash updater in the BIOS to see the file on my USB stick.  I constantly get "no image file detected" when I select Instant Flash.

During my journey I've reformatted multiple USB sticks to FAT32 multiple times while selecting different allocation sizes and that still hasn't worked.  I've even tried ALL of my USB ports (2.0 & 3.0) to see what would work and nothing.

What could I be doing wrong here?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:11pm
Sorry but I must ask, did you extract the UEFI/BIOS update file from the .zip download file?

The extracted BIOS update file should be named 890FXD52.01F and the file size is 4,096KB.

The only other possibility is you are not downloading from the correct source. There are also 890 FX Deluxe3 and Deluxe4 boards.

The 890FX Deluxe5 download page is here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/890FX%20Deluxe5/

Edited by parsec - 20 Apr 2016 at 11:11pm
linthat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linthat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Sorry but I must ask, did you extract the UEFI/BIOS update file from the .zip download file?

The extracted BIOS update file should be named 890FXD52.01F and the file size is 4,096KB.

The only other possibility is you are not downloading from the correct source. There are also 890 FX Deluxe3 and Deluxe4 boards.

The 890FX Deluxe5 download page is here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/890FX%20Deluxe5/

Hey, I fully understand Smile

Yes, I extracted the update file from the .zip file and placed just the extraxted BIOS update file on the USB stick(s).

The link you have provided for the Deluxe5 board is the same location that I used for downloading the Beta BIOS file.  I did double check and the file I downloaded is a match to yours: 890FXD52.01F.  The file size is the same as well.

I'm just scratching my head on this one.  Should I try using plain old FAT formatting or maybe seeing if I put the BIOS on a CD to see if it'll recognize?
linthat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linthat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:22am
You can go ahead and lock this thread down.  

It appears that my motherboard is very picky on which USB sticks it likes.  I found an old old OLD 500MB thumb drive and loaded the latest Beta BIOS on there and it worked.  I really wouldn't have believed after using 4 different USB sticks that the 5th would work.  But hey, stranger things have happened.

I appreciate the assistance.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 3:01am
Did the update resolve your issue with the R9 390x?
linthat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linthat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:09pm
Yep, it sure did and I have a nicer looking BIOS GUI to look at.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:27pm
Good to hear Thumbs Up
linthat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linthat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Good to hear Thumbs Up

Agreed!  

Never thought in a million years that USB sticks could be that finicky with a motherboard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic