ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Third SATA controller driver?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:55am
Run that exe and install this new package right over the top of the existing.
blppt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blppt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Let me know how it goes after please.

I can tell you without installing that one right now what is going to happen---its going to leave me with 3 "Standard AHCI SATA Controller" entries. 2 of the 3 of those entries can be manually updated to 'AMD SATA Controller' by pointing the 'update driver' search to the C:\AMD folder that is created by those chipset drivers. The third one does not respond to such a method, but according the the poster above, AMD recommends that you dont even 'update' the 2 controllers that CAN accept the driver. Running the EXE installer has never automatically installed drivers for any of the SATA controllers since I got this board/cpu months ago, and installed various versions of that linked chipset software you linked to.

Which is a shame, because I havent had any issues using the native "AMD" drivers, and games seem to be a little smoother, especially the ones that hit the hard disk/SSD during gameplay. Its not a huge difference, and if AMD says you shouldn't use the native "AMD" drivers, i'll just go back to using the generic Win10 "Standard AHCI" for all 3.

Just was wondering if anybody knew what that 3rd controller was. Which is now kind of pointless, lol, since AMD apparently says I shouldnt even put native drivers in for the other 2. But thanks anyways!Smile
blppt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blppt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 11:31am
Also, let me just say that I already installed that particular chipset driver package (18.10), and that's what happened (as well as any release prior to Feb). It apparently doesnt touch the SATA controllers at all when installing, so if I installed it when the AMD SATA drivers were loaded, it would stay that way, and if I installed it with the generic windows "Standard AHCI SATA..." drivers loaded, it would stay that way as well.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by blppt blppt wrote:

Also, let me just say that I already installed that particular chipset driver package (18.10), and that's what happened (as well as any release prior to Feb). It apparently doesnt touch the SATA controllers at all when installing, so if I installed it when the AMD SATA drivers were loaded, it would stay that way, and if I installed it with the generic windows "Standard AHCI SATA..." drivers loaded, it would stay that way as well.

No No No

Grab the one displayed on the current AMD download page.

Damn AMD.

The one from a week ago that "was' there. They did not change the name. BUT, this new dl file is larger. Same "name', but different versioning.

And I just upped, MS's Standard SATA AHCI Controller is what you get afterwards.

Lemme ask you something w/o you going oblong in my asking. Why the push to have the AMD SATA driver in there? they are problematic IMO. Also, I know, but what date do you think the latest AMD SATA drivers are dated?

They are damn near three years old now. The newest. March 19 2015

Manually install them if you want. They've proven a headache here for me. I'm not alone either. And negligible performance gain, if any.

blppt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blppt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Why the push to have the AMD SATA driver in there? they are problematic IMO.

Simply put, in my experience, it is always better to install the native drivers from the manufacturer of a given device. While the generic windows drivers may *work*, using drivers specifically tuned by the makers of said device can sometimes yield usability and performance gains. So when, coming from a ROG 990FX which DID install the SATA driver, I figured, being that this is a new chipset and all, AMD had yet to iron out the bugs in their installer/device detector (which has certainly happened in the past with newish AMD hardware and drivers). You'll find that actually just about every manufacturer of IDE/SATA controllers still pushes updated drivers for their controllers for even the latest Windows release, so, given that I didnt even have to 'force' the drivers to install, and noticed slight everyday disk improvements, I just installed the AMD SATA drivers.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:45pm
i doubt sata changed over teh years that much, since win10 came, there wasnt any "new" sata revision since then...
my x370 with native windows drivers running my ssd with blazing ~550MB transfers without choking other pci-e devices
cant say same for windows 7 tho
blppt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blppt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:38am
Probably not, but then again, this is not the same SATA controller that AMD was using 10 years ago, either, and certainly not the same chipset.

Heck, Intel still pushes SATA drivers through the RST driver installer (IAStoreE.sys). Even for the Z97 chipset mobo I have, and thats practically ancient. Or Marvell and their buggy cheapo add-on SATA controllers---push a native driver over Windows' included generic one. I just assumed AMD would have one as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic