ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M-HDV not posting with Ryzen 5 2400G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silicon Vampire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M-HDV not posting with Ryzen 5 2400G
    Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 12:01pm
I am in the process of upgrading an older computer from a Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 2400G. The Ryzen 5 was from an upgrade of my son's computer.

My AB350M-HDV has been upgraded to the latest BIOS 10.08 (beta) in stages. I had up update the BIOS to 3.4, then 5.0, then 7.0 and finally 10.08. The support page shows that the board will work fine with the Ryzen 5 with at least BIOS verion P4.40.

The board posts fine with the Ryzen 3 but when I switch to the Ryzen 5 the board does not post and the fans spin up and down. I've cleared the BIOS to no avail. Going back to the Ryzen 3 the board posts fine. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Taking flight through the night
Draining data byte by byte
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 7:25am
2400G should be supported by the latest BIOS. I have a B450 Fata11ty ITX/ac with R3 PRO 2200GE, running fine with the latest beta BIOS. It's the same generation as the 2400G.

R3-1200 doesn't have a GPU. What GPU do you have? Can you try without the GPU and use the iGPU in 2400G?

What RAM do you have? What about the power supply?
Silicon Vampire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silicon Vampire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 8:57am
Motherboard: Asrock AB350M-HDV upgraded to bios 10.08
CPU: Ryzen 3 1200 (works), Ryzen 5 2400G (doesn't post)
Memory: GSKIL DDR4-2133 8 GB (2 x 4GB)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 BQ 500 Watt
Video card: MSI RT 6500xt

All the items with the Ryzen 3 1200 posts fine. The case and power supply were reused from a build that had a different motherboard which had the Ryzen 5 2400G and an Nvidia 2060 video card so the power supply had enough power to feed the original components and the RX 6500xt should be about the same power draw.

When I put in the R5 2400G I tried both with the video card (which boots up fine with the R3 2100) and without using the built in graphics. Same results both times... fans spin up then down continually with no post nor beeps.

The only thing I've not done is try the 2400G in a different board to see if it posts, but as it was working when I pulled it out of a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H the possibility of the processor being dead would be slim IMHO

I am doing the posting outside the case at the moment as I've had to take it out and install it into the case twice.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 6:29pm
When you pulled the 2400G, nothing weird happened, like the CPU pulling out with the heatsink? Normally, that's fine, but I think it could lose a pin or two in that process.

I don't know what's going on, but ultimately, if you're not going to use the iGPU, I don't think 2400G is any faster than 1200. In fact, 1200 has an advantage, which is that it has 8MB L3, vs. 4MB L3 of the 2400G.
Silicon Vampire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Silicon Vampire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 11:31am
I figured it out finally. It was a combination of technical work, old eyes, and not thinking straight

Old eyes: I think I was using the wrong 4 pin motherboard connector. I have to use readers these days and seeing the shape of the plug was hard. I finally took pictures of the connectors and zoomed in until I could see the shape of the connectors. I took the precaution of putting a small strip of duct tape on the correct connector.

Technical work: I removed the battery and also used the clear CMOS jumper.

Not thinking straight: I have to remind myself that after the CMOS is cleared it will output on the integrated graphics initially. I plugged the video cable into the HDMI connector on the motherboard. I got the fTMP is corrupt message. Once I hit Y to clear it out the board then rebooted and started outputting to the video card.

I finally got the system booted and installed Win 11 on the unit. I'm taking a victory sip now for all the frustration I had over the past few days. Thank you for your suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic