ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange behavior of USB-C port on X470 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satiohara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange behavior of USB-C port on X470 Taichi
    Posted: 08 Aug 2024 at 6:18am
Hey, everybody.

I have a rather strange problem with the USB-C port on my Asrock X470 Taichi motherboard.

If I plug a phone into this port, I have to wait about one minute for the internal drive to be detected. Write/read transfer speeds are somewhere around 25-30 MB/s.

If I plug an Adata SE760 external USB-C drive into this port, I get transfer speeds of 50MB/s at peak, but mostly 15-25MB/s. Attempting to format the drive using Windows 11's standard formatting tools results in the drive being completely inoperable. To get it working again, I have to rebuild the partition table and format the drive on another computer.

And now the latest "patient", a Kingston DataTraveler Max flash drive, in the middle of the formatting process Windows issued a warning that the system cannot format the drive. It is detected in the system, but without volume and does not allow to perform any manipulations with it.

The flash drives were purchased from official stores and after recovery work quite normally on another PC and give speeds corresponding to the specifications.

Yes I know both drives are USB 3.2 gen2x2, but they work fine on other PCs with USB 3.2 gen2 and USB 3.2 gen1 ports (at speeds matching the specs) I have tested this on 12 different PCs with Intel and AMD platforms.

Other usual USB ports work on this motherboard without any problems, for example, they can easily pull two 4TB and 10TB external HDD at the same time, except for the port intended for flashing the bios.

All experiments with USB-C port were made when the external HDD's were disconnected so as not to load the controller.

Obviously something is wrong with this port on my mobo.

I need some help, maybe some of you have encountered something like this? Can anyone explain what is going on with the port and if there is any solution to this?

For now, I plan to buy USB 3.2 gen2X2 PCIe expansion card because I would hate to buy a new mobo just because of problems with this port.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic