ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to get access to advanced PCI-E bios settings£
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to get access to advanced PCI-E bios settings£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstdib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to get access to advanced PCI-E bios settings£
    Posted: 19 Aug 2024 at 2:54am
Hi all,

I have been on a long quest to reduce the power consumption of my systems, and have dove into multiple rabbit holes.

Long story short, my issue seems to be with ASPM and PCI-E lanes.

I have an ASRock B760 Pro RS/D4 where I have connected a NVME drive (chipset) and a LSI HBA on the PCI-E x16 (top one, CPU).

This has had the effect of the system not being able to enter higher C-states, namely anything above C2/C3. I thought this could be an issue with ASPM, but every device supports and has ASPM enabled. The settings are also enabled in the bios.

After some googling I found this thread: https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/Using-x16-pcie-slot-disables-low-package-c-states-ASPM-Alderlake/td-p/1555031

This seems to be the exact same issue I have, where the solution is:
> In your BIOS:
>
> Advanced -> Admin -> Chipset->System Agent(SA) configuration->PCI Express Configuration
>
> Set Multi-VC to Disabled on both of PCIE Root Port 1 & PCIE Root Port 2."
>
>
> Setting Multi-VC to Disabled could help reaching C10, meanwhile, by being enabled, the system can only reach C3.

However, this option is not exposed in the BIOS.

Is there any way to expose this option so that my system can finally be more efficient and conserve some of that (expensive) energy :)?

Thanks in advance!
firstdib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstdib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 4:30am
Seems someone over at MSI had the same issue, unsure if they had it resolved though. Link: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/using-x16-pcie-slot-preventing-lower-package-c-states.398010/
williamson17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamson17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 10:38pm
It?™s frustrating when BIOS options aren?™t accessible. You might try updating to the latest BIOS version, as it sometimes unlocks hidden settings. Alternatively, using a tool like AMIBCP could expose advanced options https://sassastatuscheckbankingdetails.co.za/, but proceed with caution to avoid bricking your system. Have you also checked if ASRock support can provide a custom BIOS or guidance.
firstdib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstdib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 10:45pm
I am currently running the latest bios version, but the setting is sadly not available. I have messaged support, awaiting their reply.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic