ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme6 ASMedia and Realtek Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme6 ASMedia and Realtek Drivers
    Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:26pm
Just curious, I had to reinstall W10 on one of my Z97 Extreme6 systems and noticed that the drivers for ASMedia USB and SATA are no longer available.  Also, the Realtek NIC driver is gone.  It looks like W10 uses the default Microsoft drivers.  I know originally, a long time ago, the ASMedia USB driver did not work very well for me when I connected a USB 2 device to either one of the ASMedia ports.  I'll have to check and see if the Microsoft drivers work better.  I updated both systems to the 2.50 BIOS and uninstalled the old now nonexistent drivers on the original Z97 Extreme6 system and let W10 install what it wanted.   It could not be any worse than the old ASMedia driver.  Can someone shed some light on why the change in drivers?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 2:00am
Ken429, is that you, my forum friend from Indiana? I know it is, how are you? Been to Microcenter lately?

The reason for the lack of Win 10 drivers is of course, Win 10 itself.

Win 10 now has a built in USB 3.0 driver. Very nice really IMO, you can use a USB 3.0 flash drive for the Win 10 installation, which is much faster than reading it from a USB 2.0 port. I would tend to use the Intel USB 3.0 ports too.

So just like we don't install USB 2.0 drivers since at least Win 7, we no longer need to install USB 3.0 drivers for Win 10. Whether or not the generic MS driver is as good as Intel's or ASMedia's, I don't know. Do we even question the performance of the generic USB 2.0 driver? Not that you could find a USB 2.0 driver installation program for Win 7 and beyond.

I didn't notice the RealTek network driver is gone for Win 10, but you're right. I'm sure I installed it on my Z97 Extreme6 board. No idea why it is not there. Could be an issue with the driver and Win 10. I have Win 8.1 on my Z97 Extreme6 PC, which is why I did not notice.

The ASMedia SATA driver... I don't use those ports so don't really care about the driver. I may have a source for that driver. I don't have time now but you could try finding it yourself here:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?lang=en

That site is trustworthy, I've used a few drivers from it occasionally. If you can't find any ASMedia drivers, let me know.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic