ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC Hard Restarts Z170 Extreme4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xHardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC Hard Restarts Z170 Extreme4
    Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:37pm
Hi Guys,

I7 6700K (Just over 12 mths)
Asrock Z170 Extreme4 (PCCG 12mths)
Corsair LPX 2400MHZ C14 16GB (PCCG 12mths)
SilverStone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-PS (PCCG 24mths)
Noctau 9UB-SE2
WF3 R9 290X (2nd Hand 2.5 years?)
CM690 Orig.

Windows 10

G110 + G502 

After pulling my hair out for the last couple of weeks I am seeking some help/ideas as to what could be going wrong with my PC.

The restarts are a hard restart... No Bluescreen or PC freeze. Power gone, then instantly starting back up again. 

When I first rebuilt the PC and finally got Windows 10 installed it seemed fine but these random restarts happened. Never while gaming, mostly while it appeared to sit idle or when I was just watching some YouTube. After the usual drivers/bios/updates etc they seemed to just fade away with no issues for months and months, even with my PC running for weeks at a time. 

Now I know this is going to sound like an OVERHEATING issue, as I built it in January last year and this is when I was having the issues and during the cooler months it was fine. I hope it is something so simple but just to try and make this happen i have run;

Intel Burn Test w/ 12+ GB for 3 hours - Max temp was around 70C
MemTest (from windows) x 5 for 3 hours - No errors or temp issues
R6:Siege / ARMA3 - Can crack out a 3-4 hour gaming session without issue. - After gaming sometimes it is fine till the next day, sometimes I open chrome to start browsing and bam, restart.
  • I have taken both sides off the PC, while it is cooler, it doesn't appear any more stable.
  • After the return of these issues just over a week ago I updated all the MoBo drivers as there were some newer ones released since I had last check, Updated my BIOS from 2.x to 7.0, used AMD driver cleaner and reinstalled the newest drivers WITHOUT ReLive. 
  • Stock settings on CPU, MoBo settings for RAM (2133) all volts at stock.
  • Unplugged my 2 extra HDD's
  • Unplugged USB hub + Controllers
  • Disabled hardware acceleration within chrome
  • Tested Firefox
  • Tested Chrome Canary
  • Manually reinstalled flash in chrome

I have read forum post after forum post with 100's of different 'solutions' but so far haven't found anything that works. Sometimes I feel as if I have had a breakthrough only for it to happen as soon as I get a few minutes into a video. 

Nearly all the parts are still in warranty, but without ordering replacements it will be hard to discover if something is faulty or if its a software issue. 
Its not high on my list, but reinstalling windows 10 or even windows 7 could be something to test. 
Considering I am nearly to the point where I am willing to order a new PC and throw this one outside I need some help <3

Any more info let me know.

Thanks,
Matt.
xHardz is online now Report Post  

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 5:12pm
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the detailed description and parts list Thumbs Up

Any time you have an issue that results in hard resets or unexplained shut downs your first stop should always be to check your power cables and reseat them. If that does not help then try a different PSU. 

Check in your Event Logs in "event viewer" (use Windows search in on your taskbar) under "Windows Logs" -> "System". You can set a filter for critical errors. If you see any "Kernel Power" errors and you did not power off your PC improperly then the issue is almost certainly power related. Even if there are no such errors you should try another PSU to be sure.
xHardz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xHardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 6:59pm
Yeah each time it restarts pretty much the only this is the Kernel Power error along with your system shutdown unexpectedly. 

Its late here in the AU so I will check power cables and reseat them all tomorrow. Maybe an odd question, but could it be my power board? Its a surge protected one with 8 ports. 2 Benq 24" monitors, the PC, an external HDD and a laptop charger. 

As far as PSU, I really did think if there was an issue it would show under load more so than on the desktop.

I just ran a 3 hour session of online R6:Siege without issue. TS, Adobe Audition and chome open in the background. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:13pm
Power Supplies are a lot more complicated these days. The issue could be coming from load switching which happens more frequently when the PSU isn't under heavy load. In that case it would behave exactly as you say, fine under consistent load but then unstable when the load is fluctuating.

As for your surge protector I doubt it could be the issue (in this situation) as, like you said, the issue happens under lower load scenarios. If it were a UPS then it could be possible that the load circuitry is defective in the same way I mentioned regarding the PSU. 

I don't use surge protectors/UPSes on my systems for other reasons but the power here is very stable. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by xHardz xHardz wrote:

After pulling my hair out for the last couple of weeks I am seeking some help/ideas as to what could be going wrong with my PC.

Bwhahahah You suffered through this ALONE for two whole weeks? Bwhahahaha

Is this a new build or one that's been running fine for some time now?

Hard restarts can usually be traced to memory, temps, and or power.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:23pm
I agree with Xaltar that the PSU is suspect until proven otherwise.

Given your description, the PC shutting off during low load conditions, when temperatures are not an issue, I would try another PSU first, unless I had other hints about something else.

When Haswell processors were released (I know you don't have a Haswell...), which were so power efficient that they could cause very low loads on the 12V rail of the PSU, some PSUs would shut off because their protection circuits thought something was wrong. That could easily be worked around by having fans in the PC using 12V power. Your PSU is Haswell rated, but I did see a minimum spec of 0.6A of the 12V rail, which is 7.2 Watts.

It could simply be the PSU power connectors need reseating, that is a good suggestion and free to do.

Look closely at the top of the connector that goes into the board, each of the wires/pins. Do they all look like they are at the same depth within the connector? Meaning a pin is not inserted deep enough into the socket on the board. If there is a relatively high resistance connection for one of more pins, during low power loads the current flow could go below what is needed, and the board shuts off. When it starts again, it needs more power so works fine again.

The 12V 4/8 pin connector for the CPU on the board can be difficult to plug in when building a PC. If I recall my CM 690 case, it was very tight and difficult getting that cable connected.
xHardz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xHardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:23pm
I posted on another forum at the same time as the above post, just a copy paste, and most people seem to point towards the PSU.

They wanted some screenshots of HWinfo64 both running during idle and load. Maybe the below can shed some light.

Thanks for all the info in the above posts, I will give it a good check over and reseat all the cables over the weekend when I can dedicate some time to it. 

I was away for the weekend and the PC went into sleep mode and came out fine. Sunday arvo/monday were ALOT cooler than it had been and there were no restarts.

Today is a return to the heat and I have just had a restart while browsing/idle. Ran R6:Siege for about 15 minutes to get the below results. 

Edited by xHardz - 17 Jan 2017 at 5:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic