ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi Carrara struggling to run 4x16GB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E Taichi Carrara struggling to run 4x16GB
    Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 2:10am
Hello,

Following a recent CPU upgrade from Ryzen 9 7950X to Ryzen 9 9950X, a few days ago I also upgraded RAM from 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 6000MT/s CL30 (F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) to G.Skill Trident Z5 Royal Neo 6000MT/s CL28 (F5-6000J2836G16GX2-TR5NS) and while the older sticks ran flawlessly using their EXPO profile, the new ones aren't posting even when reducing frequency from 6000MT/s down to 5200MT/s.

I'm greatly confused, because the main difference between those sticks are primary timings and it's the first time I encountered such problems on this platform since November 2022 (back when BIOS was super buggy and RAM support was very bad). I was aware of problems with 4 sticks due to experiences of my acquaintances, but they exclusively occured at higher frequencies, way beyond 6000MT/s.

In order to deal with this, I flashed my BIOS from 3.06 to 3.06.PB02
[Beta] to no joy, as memory training fails and motherboard reboots the PC and follows up by setting RAM speeds to 3600MT/s. This motherboard has been with me for many years now, and back when I had Ryzen 9 7950X it even managed to run aforementioned old sticks at 6200MT/s with tightened timings without a sweat, so I suspect that either Ryzen 9 9950X has faulty IMC, the RAM sticks themselves could be faulty, or the BIOS is not yet ready to handle them.

Does anyone else run their X670E Taichi Carrara in configuration with 4 RAM sticks and could share their experiences?
NDRE28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NDRE28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 12:37pm
Hello!

4x16GB DDR5 RAM configuration is problematic.

If possible, return the 4x16GB kit and buy a 2x32GB kit.

PS:
Also, I really doubt that there is any problem with your CPU.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 10:26pm
Agreed with @NDRE28

Two DIMMs per channel for non-registered & non-buffered DDR5 has been a big no-no from the get go. So much so, I don't even want motherboards with two DIMM slots per channel, if I can avoid them.

There are 48GB DDR5 DIMMs these days, so you're able to get 96GB with just two DIMMs. I imagine we'll eventually get 64GB DIMMs, also.

You must've gotten super lucky if your first set worked, but neither AMD nor Intel ever officially supported such, so you really can't complain to them if they don't work.
Dieg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 10:40pm
Thanks for your answers. I guess it was dumb luck after all.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with these for the time being as I already sold my previous two kits. They are still in the same household, but it would be rude to demand that family member returns them, leaving them stranded for about 2 weeks without RAM. On top of that, I'm unable to find 2x32GB kits of Royal Neo in any of the local European stores. It seems that the vendors ordered and imported only 2x16GB variants. I would rather not go through importing them myself to spare me the headache, as I did it once with different hardware and couriers decided to play basketball with the parcel.

That said, I'm going to be stubborn and try to stabilize them myself to maybe get them up and running at 4x16GB 6000MT/s. I probed the ground a bit and they are able to POST and BOOT using EXPO profile if ProcODT and RTT are set manually, but they crash as soon as the load gets high. That gives me a small glimmer of hope that it comes down to bus termination values and timings + AGESA/BIOS updates.

I'm currently in the process of testing individual kits to see if they aren't throwing any errors with EXPO profile turned on in order to eliminate possibility that one of the kits is faulty. One little problem that I found is that they are listed in G.Skill's QVL for X670E Taichi Carrara, but not on ASRock's QVL for that motherboard. God knows which version of BIOS G.Skill used in their tests.

From my personal experience when I still had Ryzen 9 7950X, the BIOS-related stability improved greatly in the initial revisions. For example v1.04 couldn't POST with 2 sticks at all; not even EXPO. Around 1.11 Beta that took a complete turn around and 4 sticks could be run with EXPO profile, and also OC to 6200MT/s. But then it went downhill sometime around v1.28 as that's when my old sticks could no longer boot at 6200MT/s without loosening timings. That was solely BIOS-related, because tighter timings worked just fine if I rolled BIOS version back. They also ran rock solid 24/7, which makes me wonder what exactly is the catch with the new kit being unable to repeat those feats.

Fast forward to v3.05 and upgrading to Ryzen 9 9950X, I was able to run the two old kits at 4x16GB 6000MT/s with tightened timings, and then I bought and installed these... a complete catastrophe, to put it lightly. I'm not able to roll back to previous, "proven" versions of BIOS as they don't support my CPU. I hope that history repeats and updates for Ryzen 9000 series.

I will report back with my findings in a few days.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic