ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Idle CoreParking vCore // 1700x+X370TaiChi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 1:42am
Tried CMOS resets, no fix.

I think it's behaving in Linux, but the lack of decent tools for detecting Ryzen voltages makes it hard. Checking Core clocks and P and C-state seems to indicate normal behaviour though.

I am not beyond ruling this to being a Windows mess up somewhere, but it does seem strange that after a reboot it does not happen within the time frame until I turn off at night.

It's as if lower P states are not being properly entered. Damn annoying and without checking in on ParkControl or constantly looking at TaskManager, one wouldn't know that the CPU is only dropping to around 1.2v at idle.
IS that a big deal? No, probably not, perfectly safe to run 24/7 under 1.3v. But still it's basically not working as it should do.

Would have come back earlier, but I've been busy messing with an Amazon Fire tablet. Getting root, removing the junk-ware, setting up iptables rules etc. As much as can be done without a full TWRP/MAgisk switch. Too many little projects!
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 7:16pm
Hmm...

Fired up Performance Monitor, from Computer Management in Windows 10.
From here 'counters' can be added to plot/read data in 1 second intervals (or slower).
I looked at C1, C2, and C3 percentage, and most cores stick to C2 state for the large majority of time. Occasionally popping into C1 or disappearing altogether (C0 ? > P-states?). Never does anything go into C3 state, does he first gen Ryzen even have a C3 state?

I am still at a huge loss as to why this is happening.
It is still cured by rebooting, and then it will not happen after a reboot.

Logging off/on doesn't fix this. I don't know what I can kill in windows to reset windows, killing/relaunching explorer does nothing as expected.

All that happened was Windows went to screen saver, and then the core don't park, like they were for a few hours before.

It's almost as if Windows has completely lost any ability to properly read the CPU or talk to it in terms of throttling - that or BIOS has lost the plot! There is a blockage between the two here - I don't really care who is to blame, I'd just like to fix it without having to reboot every time!
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:52pm
The C-States that I can see reported in windows only show C1, C2, and C3, of which 0% time is spent in C3.
I don't know of any 3rd party tools that will correctly show which C-state a given core is in.

This was the same for Linux Mint and a CLI power tool I downloaded. I can't recall the tool, but it showed C0, C1, and C2 states only.

I would hazard to guess that Windows completely looses the plot and puts the Power Plan to "Ryzen Balanced" and refuses to let me out of that. When I switch to Ryzen Balanced, the behaviour and voltages are VERY similar to when the system does this strange thing by itself.
SV12 Core voltages don't drop below 1.187v, nor does the VRM voltage, but vCore from the MoBo still goes down to ~0.5v ish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic