ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

N3700-ITX WOL Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N3700-ITX WOL Issue
    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 9:53pm
Hi,

I have a N3700-ITX (P2.00 BIOS) running Windows 10 20H2.
Trying to get Wake-On-Lan to work.
First step is to check that the NIC link light remains on when the system is shutdown, sleeping or hibernating.
For all three I get no link light !

In the BIOS I have ...
set the BIOS to Advanced / ACPI Configuration / PCIE Devices Power On
disabled S5 Deep Sleep

In Windows Power settings I have
cleared the Turn on fast startup setting
disabled PCI Express Link State Power Management

In NIC Power Management I have checked
Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power
Allow this device to wake the computer
Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer

In Nic Advanced Properties I have
enabled Shutdown Wake-On-Lan
enabled Wake on Magic Packet
enabled Wake on pattern match
set WOL & Shutdown link Speed to 10Mbps

In the Windows Registry I have set these NIC keys
S5WakeOnLAN = 1
PowerDownPll = 0

I have tried two different NIC drivers
v1001_05292015 (the one from your support page)
Win10_10047_03192021 (the latest one from RealTek)

I have spent days trying to get the NIC leds to stay on.
Until I see the link light remaining on when the computer is off there is no point in continuing.

Can anyone please help me get this working.

Thanks
Gussie
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 8:49pm
Further to my issue outlined above, I have noticed something unusual on my N3700-ITX system.

If I unplug my N3700-ITX PC from the mains.

Normally plugging it back in will do nothing - the PC justs sits there and when I switch it on everything is normal.

But if in the BIOS I have enabled Advanced / ACPI Configuration / PCIE Devices Power On then plugging my N3700-ITX PCback into the mains will make it power on momentarily for a second or two, BIOS post appears fleetingly, then it powers off.

I can then switch it on as normal - if I shutdown and leave it connected to the mains, it just sits there as expected.
I can power up/shutdown etc as normal.

But if I unplug my N3700-ITX PC from the mains again and then plug it back in - again I get a momentary power up.
I find I have to wait at leat 10 seconds between unplugging and plugging back in for the momentary power up to occur.

If I disable Advanced / ACPI Configuration / PCIE Devices Power On THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN !
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 11:58pm
Looks like a bug in the ASRock BIOS related to the Restore on AC/Power Loss setting.

If "Restore on AC/Power Loss" is set to "Power Off", the power should remain off when power recovers, but when "PCIE Devices Power On" is enabled the system still powers up momentarily before deciding it should stay off, if "PCIE Devices Power On" is disabled then nothing happens when power recovers.

If "Restore on AC/Power Loss" is set to "Power On", the system does boot up normally when power recovers, irrespective of the setting of "PCIE Devices Power On"

I've always assumed "Restore on AC/Power Loss" only functions after an unexpected AC/Power loss not if you have shutdown normally and power might be disconnected and then reconnected to the system.
Why on earth would you want your PC to come on after you have shutdown correctly - just because of a power interruption.

Anyways I still cannot get WOL to work.
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 8:35pm
Right I have solved my WOL problem.

Firstly, despite all the warnings all over the net about the network link lights having to be on for magic packets to get through, the ASRock ITX boards
infact DO NOT leave the network link lights on after shutdown, sleep or hibernate when you configure WOL.

Secondly, the tool I was using to test WOL - AquilaWOL did not work at all - despite me reading the documentation, I could not wake anything with this software.
AquilaWOL even finds the systems on the lan and populates the Mac addresses etc for each host found but the fails to actually work in waking up anything.
Thank you Aquila Technology for wasting a week of my time!

My breakthrough came when I used two other tools NirSoft WakeMeOnLan and MagicPacket which both worked flawlessly!

May I point out agin two peculiarities on the ASROCK ITX boards - if you configure for WOL and have set the BIOS to Advanced / ACPI Configuration / PCIE Devices Power On
then you will always see a false momentary power on and off whenever the system is switched on after having its supply disconnected for whatever reason, and WOL will not work until you shutdown, sleep or hibernate.
As long as power is uninterrupted everything works as expected whenever you wake up the system or just switch on manually.

It's been a long week - thanks for your attention.

caberfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caberfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 20 minutes ago at 6:19am
I also had the same issue. But I have managed to solve it (at least it is still working until now) by downloading the internet driver, then remove the internet adapter in Device Manager and install it again. It is working now like a charm (unless I turn the PC off by using the power button (hard shutdown)). I'm using a B550 Phantom itx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic