ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970 Pro3 R2.0 bios version 2.80

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970 Pro3 R2.0 bios version 2.80
    Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 6:36pm
Hi , I have asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0 and I update the bios from 1.70 to 2.80 successfully 
I haven't any problem with my PC , but I have a question ... 
Bios version 2.80 includes all the previous updates ? like 2.60 , 2.50 ... etc ? 

Edited by Georges - 24 Sep 2016 at 6:37pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Georges Georges wrote:

Hi , I have asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0 and I update the bios from 1.70 to 2.80 successfully 
I haven't any problem with my PC , but I have a question ... 
Bios version 2.80 includes all the previous updates ? like 2.60 , 2.50 ... etc ? 

In general, the answer to that question is yes. Updates added in earlier UEFI versions are included in newer versions. It must be that way, since the entire file is replaced during the update, not just certain parts. It would make no sense to have a feature or fix added in one version, only to not include them in another version.

There are rare exceptions, in specific situations. A feature can be removed in a new version, but that is done purposely for a reason. An example of that is the ASRock Sky OC feature (only for Intel Skylake boards), that Intel decided broke their rules about which boards and CPUs are allowed to be over clocked.

For AMD AM3+ boards, the only similar thing is a new version will not allow you to use a processor that is not truly compatible with some AM3+ board. That would be the FX-9000 series processors, that require more power than the board is capable of easily supplying, long term. That is really a good thing, and does not affect your build.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 12:20am
BIOS updates are not incremental, its an all or nothing deal. As Parsec stated, the whole thing is replaced with each new update. 
Georges View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:54pm
Thanks for the answers Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic