ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Killer SLI and LLC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote augustobotossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Killer SLI and LLC
    Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 1:16am
[URL=][/URL]I am going through a RMA process with my R7 1700 and haven't had the chance to test the new BIOS. Someone that has the newer version of this mobo (1.5 or above) could, please, confirm if the LLC option is still missing/gone forever? Since I will have to wait a while for a new CPU, or even get a newer one, it may be worth selling my mobo too.

Tks!

Edited by augustobotossi - 30 Mar 2018 at 11:19pm
augustobotossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote augustobotossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:32pm
Anyone?
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:43pm
He is refering to LLC as in Load Line Calibration, cannot help you with that, but made the corection so others know what the question is about, I know for sure the option is not present in the Fatality AB350/X370 itx motherboards, I know it was removed from other boards after a bios update, and as far as I know it was not introduced back, but this option is from the AM2-AM3 days, it was removed because of Voltage-Overshoot, no need for it in current or future 2nd gen Ryzen systems because the CPU's will hit the frequency limit long before the voltage limit, so LLC is not usefull or needed at all.
It was also removed because of how Ryzen manages the voltages with the P-States, when switching to Turbo or XFR it will automatically boost the voltage up to and even 1.45V or more depending on the CPU binning process, this again make LLC a problem, when the CPU is already sending 1.45V to the cores you dont want LLC to overshoot the voltage even higher.

Edited by cristy6100 - 30 Mar 2018 at 7:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote augustobotossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

He is refering to LLC as in Load Line Calibration, cannot help you with that, but made the corection so others know what the question is about, I know for sure the option is not present in the Fatality AB350/X370 itx motherboards, I know it was removed from other boards after a bios update, and as far as I know it was not introduced back, but this option is from the AM2-AM3 days, it was removed because of Voltage-Overshoot, no need for it in current or future 2nd gen Ryzen systems because the CPU's will hit the frequency limit long before the voltage limit, so LLC is not usefull or needed at all.
It was also removed because of how Ryzen manages the voltages with the P-States, when switching to Turbo or XFR it will automatically boost the voltage up to and even 1.45V or more depending on the CPU binning process, this again make LLC a problem, when the CPU is already sending 1.45V to the cores you dont want LLC to overshoot the voltage even higher.

Thank you! I fixed the title and the text. Apparently, ASRock removed the option due to better components, but LLC has an impact when OCing .
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:16am
After they removed LLC with new hardware revision "different VRM" i was assured by tech support if i RMA my mobo i will get one back with LLC, i was under the impression it was removed because a change in VRM not just from a bios update after my talk with tech support. i think the Gaming k4 and killer sli revision 1 "launch revision" had the better VRM and LLC. some would say the new revision is a better VRM but  we have seen verybad Voltage droop under load on the new VRM. loosing LLC is a killer for overclocks
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
Moba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 7:25am
Originally posted by augustobotossi augustobotossi wrote:

[URL=][/URL]I am going through a RMA process with my R7 1700 and haven't had the chance to test the new BIOS. Someone that has the newer version of this mobo (1.5 or above) could, please, confirm if the LLC option is still missing/gone forever? Since I will have to wait a while for a new CPU, or even get a newer one, it may be worth selling my mobo too.

Tks!

I have LLC options with BIOS 3.xx, but I have read that this is revision related - newer boards having an updated VRM like chainsaw posted. Probably something you should ask TSD directly...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote augustobotossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Moba Moba wrote:

Originally posted by augustobotossi augustobotossi wrote:

[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]I am going through a RMA process with my R7 1700 and haven't had the chance to test the new BIOS. Someone that has the newer version of this mobo (1.5 or above) could, please, confirm if the LLC option is still missing/gone forever? Since I will have to wait a while for a new CPU, or even get a newer one, it may be worth selling my mobo too.

Tks!

I have LLC options with BIOS 3.xx, but I have read that this is revision related - newer boards having an updated VRM like chainsaw posted. Probably something you should ask TSD directly...

I did and they answered me saying OC may bring stability so better not do it. How frustrated I was when I got that answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic