ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fan speed when starting the PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fan speed when starting the PC
    Posted: 9 hours 49 minutes ago at 4:34pm
When starting the PC, the fans run at maximum speed, the duration is only about 5 seconds but it is annoying, especially if you have had a motherboard for the last 12 years that has managed to make the fans start up slowly and therefore quietly.

It would be nice if they could change this, either by adding an option for the user to choose how fast the fans should run at startup or at least reduce the speed to 50%.

so that there is no misunderstanding, i have tried out the fan settings silentl and user-defined.

Mainboard: B650E Taichi Lite

have a nice day. c-:
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 17 minutes ago at 5:06pm
I highly doubt that will happen. I suspect the full speed fans on start up is by
design to protect your components. Possibly from inrush current on power up. In
addition, the fans operate at full tilt only until the UEFI initializes. This means
that there is nothing controlling their speed up to that point. Now, if for some
reason the UEFI does not initialize and the system is powered on, the CPU and surrounding
components are protected from overheating. If the default was off or a low fan
speed there is a higher risk of damaging components if the board isn't connected
correctly (missing CPU 12v power cable for example). Also, I doubt it could be
made into a setting in the UEFI as the fans are uncontrolled until UEFI
initializes anyway, it would have to be done at a component level I suspect which
would mean a board redesign. Overall, not worth doing for the mild annoyance of a
few seconds of fan noise.

I hope this makes sense.
Hippe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 46 minutes ago at 11:37pm
If it can't be fixed on the software side, I can understand it. But if a Gigabyte Z77 mainboard from 2012 can do it, it's surprising that current mainboards can't do it. The fact that the fans run at 100% at the beginning is a safety feature from the early PC days. Nowadays we have additional safeguards that switch off the Pc, for example if the cpu gets too hot, and the user notices if the Pc does not start properly or something else is wrong with it and you intervene yourself and switch off the Pc, so it is unnecessary to have to endure this noise of the fans at all.

have a nice day

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic