ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why top-down coolers recommended£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaFrito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why top-down coolers recommended£
    Posted: 2 hours 26 minutes ago at 12:58am
Hi,

I've gone into the "QVL" section for "B650 Steel Legend WiFi" and I was kind of baffled as to why it says "1. CPU performance may be limited due to system configuration. A top down CPU cooler is recommended."

Can you explain why this over tower design, which to my knowledge offers better overall cooling?

Regards
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 8 minutes ago at 1:16am
Because a top down cooler also creates airflow over the VRMs of the motherboard but
a tower cooler does not. Simply putting an additional fan to blow on the VRM will
achieve the same effect however.
PapaFrito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaFrito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 45 minutes ago at 1:39am
Thank you.

Given that the board is ATX, my case is pretty big (endorfy arx 700 argb), processor Ryzen 7700x, does it make sense to go for, as far as I can see, much less efficient top-down cooler instead of a decent tower one (I was eyeing Peerless Assassin SE).

And even if there was 7950x3d sitting there, would that still hold?

What kind of setup would suggest using tower design otherwise, which seems much more prevalent at the moment?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic