ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z890 Chipset and PCI-E 5.0 NVMe Drives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elvorfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z890 Chipset and PCI-E 5.0 NVMe Drives
    Posted: 4 hours 9 minutes ago at 9:45pm
Hi all new to the forum and figured this is probably the easiest way of getting my question answered.

So I am looking at building a DIY gaming rig and was originally looking at a Z790 i9-14900 solution but then delved further into the limitations of the PCI-E 5.0 support on that chipset with regard that running a PCI-E 5 NVMe SSD would mean that the graphics card in the X16 PCI slot would be restricted to X8 bandwidth.

After doing some background reading on socket LGA1851 it appeared that this restriction has been removed with the NVME having a dedicated x4 lane to the CPU.

However looking at the specs from motherboard manufactures i am seeing comments along the lines of "The PCIEX16 slot can only support a graphics card or an NVMe SSD" whcih suggests otherwise.

Can someone give me a definitive answer to the question of if I install a Gen 5 NVMe will my graphics card run at the full x16 bandwidth or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic