ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z370 Extreme 4 hanging/freeze resume from sleep
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Extreme 4 hanging/freeze resume from sleep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z370 Extreme 4 hanging/freeze resume from sleep
    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 10:40pm
It seems this issue is 100% caused by overclocking. Either overclocking the CPU or enabling XMP on RAM causes the resume from sleep issue.

I've the latest bios update installed and whilst this seems to fix the XMP bug detailed here - http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6860&title=z370-extreme4-xmp-bug it still cause the resume form sleep issue for me.

The tests I've run so far is:

1. Reset the UEFI to default and left it for a week. 100% stable and no resume from sleep issues.
  2. Enabled XMP and within a few hours the resume form sleep issue started again
  3. Reset bios again and enabled a stable CPU overclock of 4.8Ghz. Verified stable using prime95. This resulted in the resume from sleep issue also.

The strange thing is, that even disabling XMP or the overclock doesn't get rid of the resume from sleep issue, I have to always reset the UEFI to do this.
techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:41pm
I've started to think the same.

It's a pain though as I use my PC as a plex server and have a script on my router that sends a WOL packet to the PC when any client connects.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:36pm
My solution: After all the sleep issues I have seen over the years with all the pc brands, I do NOT use sleep. I use shut down at a certain hour and it restarts at a set time.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by techdiver techdiver wrote:

Just an update on this. I think I have found the cause of the issue.

Along with the on-board video of the MB, I had also installed a Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, but since I wanted to still be able to use the hardware video encoding available on the i7 8700K I left the on-board display adapter enabled in the bios. I also set the on-board as the primary display adapter due to my multi monitor and TV setup (as the PC acts as a HTPC). Since display adapters tend to be a source of many issues on systems, I decided to start messing about with that configuration. What I have found is setting the primary display adapter to PCI-E and not the on-board seems to have resolved my resume from sleep issue. Evidently when the system wakes from sleep the system seems to get confused as to which display adapter to use and "sh*ts the bed" so to speak.

It's been stable for a good few days now, so I'm fairly confident that the issue is resolved (fingers crossed).

Spoke too soon. POS is acting up again. I really can't get to the bottom of this at all. How can a machine attempt to resume from sleep sound like it is resuming, but nothing happens but a black screen and no event log error information!!!
techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:46pm
Just an update on this. I think I have found the cause of the issue.

Along with the on-board video of the MB, I had also installed a Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, but since I wanted to still be able to use the hardware video encoding available on the i7 8700K I left the on-board display adapter enabled in the bios. I also set the on-board as the primary display adapter due to my multi monitor and TV setup (as the PC acts as a HTPC). Since display adapters tend to be a source of many issues on systems, I decided to start messing about with that configuration. What I have found is setting the primary display adapter to PCI-E and not the on-board seems to have resolved my resume from sleep issue. Evidently when the system wakes from sleep the system seems to get confused as to which display adapter to use and "sh*ts the bed" so to speak.

It's been stable for a good few days now, so I'm fairly confident that the issue is resolved (fingers crossed).
techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:34am
Originally posted by techdiver techdiver wrote:

Back to this again.

So I replaced my old OS drive with a new WD Black NVMe SSD and installed a fresh copy of windows.

This intermittent issue is still persisting even after that. Once again I don't see anything in the event log to indicate what is wrong. Just unresponsive from sleep wake up.

So in essence this has to be either the MB, CPU or RAM at this stage...
techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:22pm
Back to this again.

So I replaced my old OS drive with a new WD Black NVMe SSD and installed a fresh copy of windows.

This intermittent issue is still persisting even after that. Once again I don't see anything in the event log to indicate what is wrong. Just unresponsive from sleep wake up.
techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

If you have a spare drive knocking about, try a fresh OS install. That way you don't lose any data or have to reinstall all your apps etc if it doesn't resolve the issue. I strongly suspect it will however.

The last time I had sleep issues it was because my OS install was, like yours, installed on another system. The issue was also intermittent so it took me a while to get around to it. The main issue with migrating an OS drive from another system is when it is generational rather than cross platform, Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD rather than AMD to Intel etc. In a lot of cases windows doesn't update the drivers correctly and uses a mix of drivers from the old hardware and some from the new, not good.

I suspect you will find a clean OS sorts you out. Windows 10 is more fussy than any OS I have ever worked with and really likes spewing issues at you when the install wasn't performed on the system.

Good luck and let us know how it goes Wink

Thanks again for the reply. Much appreciated.l
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 10:37pm
If you have a spare drive knocking about, try a fresh OS install. That way you don't lose any data or have to reinstall all your apps etc if it doesn't resolve the issue. I strongly suspect it will however.

The last time I had sleep issues it was because my OS install was, like yours, installed on another system. The issue was also intermittent so it took me a while to get around to it. The main issue with migrating an OS drive from another system is when it is generational rather than cross platform, Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD rather than AMD to Intel etc. In a lot of cases windows doesn't update the drivers correctly and uses a mix of drivers from the old hardware and some from the new, not good.

I suspect you will find a clean OS sorts you out. Windows 10 is more fussy than any OS I have ever worked with and really likes spewing issues at you when the install wasn't performed on the system.

Good luck and let us know how it goes Wink
techdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Sleep issues can be a real pain to figure out and seem to be getting more common with each new platform. A few quick questions:

1. Is this a fresh OS install (performed on this hardware)?
  • No - I upgraded the hardware only and used an existing install of windows
2. Does the system fail to wake from sleep every time or only occasionally? 
  • Just intermittent. No consistency to it.
3. Have you tried scheduling a wake up task to cause the system to wake while you are watching it?
  • No, but I'll give this a go.
4. If yes, is the behavior any different than when the system wakes successfully? 
  • N/A

You can also take a look at your event logs and see if you are getting any warnings or errors under "system".  
  • I regularly check the event logs when this happens and there is nothing. In fact it's as if the machine is still asleep as there is no activity

Thanks for the reply. My answers are inline. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic