ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4+ DDR4 XMP (Kingston 3000Mhz)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deviruchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4+ DDR4 XMP (Kingston 3000Mhz)
    Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 6:40pm
Hi,

I bought Extreme4+ motherboard. And new pair of PC RAM from Kingston - Kingston 16GB KIT DDR4 3000MHz CL15 HyperX  (KHX3000C15D4/8GX) in dual channel configuration. This RAM provides two XMP profiles on 2666Mhz (XMP1) and 3000Mhz (XMP2). Well, I was pretty dissapointed on first  mobo bios release (1.0) which was bundled with motherboard.  I couldn't get stable computer even on XMP 1 profile.
After updating to UEFI bios 1.5 where is noted better support for DRAM compatibility, I got some relief that I can use XMP1. Even manually selecting timing and frequency I could reach 2900 Mhz without issue. 
Bud certified XMP2 profile is out of reach.  Well I am quite disappointed that cant get full settings of DRAM (paying extra buck for that).

Is there possibility to provide additional update to support this kind of memory. Kingston is pretty well known memory manufacturer and I didn't expected facing such issue. Or can you provide some hints to get it working? I know its not listed as supported memory module but even though...

Thanks.
thorak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 6:27am
I don't know about other motherboard brands, but as I see, there are a few problems with XMP profiles and Asrock Z170 motherboards. 

I have 3200MHz RAM from G-Skill and if I load the XMP profile my motherboard will not post. I have to manually configure the RAM(Whats the point of having XMP profiles if they dont work...) to 3000Mhz. The best I can get for now. 

I think we must wait for some more BIOS updates.. 
Deviruchi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deviruchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 2:37am
I have tested with new BIOS release (1.70) and nothing changed :(
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 1:43pm
It seems DDR4 faster than 2800mhz causes changes to the BCLK that many systems do not like. I can't say for sure if it is specific to ASRock's boards but I suspect it is likely not. The 100 series is still very new and as such is bound to be prone to teething problems as manufacturers work out the best ways to get it to perform. Just look at the Skylake reviews and benchmarks and you can see that it is under performing compared to intel's usual 10% IPC improvement over the previous gen. This may be by design focusing more on efficiency rather than IPC but personally I suspect that the platform is just not mature yet and we will see at least a few % improvement in Skylake's performance once the bugs are worked out with the new chipset. Part of that problem is supporting a newer DDR standard which although they have had time to test it out on the X99 platform is still in itself very new. 

Keep an eye out for BIOS updates, the one you will want will say something about improved XMP or memory compatibility if the pattern ASRock have followed in the past holds. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic