ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470 Recommended UEFI bios settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joemac42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470 Recommended UEFI bios settings
    Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 11:09pm
What are the recommended UEFI bios CPU and DRAM settings for the following hardware:

Motherboard: X470 mini-ITX/ac
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (YD2600BBAFBOX)
DRAM: Corsair 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 (CMK32GX4M2B3000C15)

I would prioritize system stability over ultimate speed, but speed is important. The computer will be used for running a computationally intensive engineering model (work); as well as light gaming and multimedia video playback (play). The modeling that I do obviously converges faster with fast CPU and DRAM clocking, but if it bombs out, I can lose an entire day of work.

What CPU and DRAM settings do you recommend in UEFI bios?   I currently have everything set to "Auto". Should I change the DRAM to pull in the XMP 2.0 Performance Profile (3000MHz, 15-17-17-35) or leave it set to "Auto"? Are there any specific recommendations for manual CPU settings, or should I leave those set to "Auto"?

-Thanks
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 1:32am
Here is my suggestion. Your Ryzen & mobo both support XFR & PBO.

With the latest BIOS and a decent cooling, leaving the settings to 'Auto' should allow the newest AMD technologies to boost the CPU high enough, while remaining 100% stable. It's basically the best of both worlds.

Only thing you'd probably want to set is the XMP profile. Ryzens of all generations love fast memory. IDK if you'd be able to run all 4(?) RAM sticks @ XMP, though.
paologab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paologab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 1:54am
Hi, I'm newbie here, but not aboute life.

If I'd risk to lose one day of computational work (of which I assume you have no intermediate/sub backup results during the day) I would for sure avoid anything that is not stock or safe side setting.

3000mhz of ram are certified, yes, but anyway overclocked from 2400 mhz.
More, like AMD says, activating XFR/PBO 'is' overclocking with all the wealth of consequences that it brings.

This is my understanding and mine two pence.

You can test it, as first option, enabling XMP profiles, XFR and PBO. That is a 'controlled/automated' overclock and then, when it's ok and well stress tested, try the manual one.

In my case, to prevent random rare freezing, I had to slightly overvolt the CPU by reducing the 'offset' voltage setting ad put the two load line calibration to level 3. All other settings related to power supply and ram/cpu stuffs are on auto.

I can say that for my case it is stable even at minutes at 85°C of tdie and that I'll stick with tese settings.

I'm using a beta bios though, again, not the optimum for the risk you are adverse to.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X w/Wraith prism
x470 Taichi bios 3.50
16gb HX432C16PB3K2/16 (hynix H5AN8G8NCJR-UHC)
M.2 970 EVO, SATA SSD, 2 SATA HDD
AMD Radeon RX 580 8G OC
Linux Kernel 5.4
Manjaro Stable XFCE
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:11am
@paologab makes a few valid points, but they are not depicting the full spectrum of the rainbow. Allow me to elaborate.

PBO & XFR are in essence - clock bumpers. They are however ENGINEERED to be there in a first place. If certain conditions are met, e.g. temps, amps, volts, etc., your CPU can SAFELY boost its own clocks higher.

Bad news? It's ASRock! They are quite infamous for their sloppy BIOS implementations. Heck, even I had to dump my Taichi after 1 year of literally 0 sane support. If one takes some time and read this entire forum section, one will see that ASRock are quite, uh, r-tarded when it comes down to a feature-full and stable modus operandi. With ASUS for example, it's all flowers and sunshine!

I think all of @paologab's issues come mostly from ASRock bad BIOS and AMD's Wraith cooler. Even though the cooler is quite capable on its own, it's not meant to keep 2700X on full throttle 24/7, especially if dust and high ambient temps are involved.
joemac42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joemac42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:14am
Thanks for the help. The model I run requires setting up a series of cases (quite a bit of work to configure) and then it literally runs for 8-10 hours for some the more complex designs of experiment. I usually let it run over night, review the results, iterate the DoE and run again. So, just to be clear, XFR and PBO run by default on the Ryzen 5? I did notice that the "auto" setting runs the RAM at just over 2100 MHz, so I might start out by just enabling XMP and running some tests.

Thanks again.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:23am
Originally posted by joemac42 joemac42 wrote:

Thanks for the help. The model I run requires setting up a series of cases (quite a bit of work to configure) and then it literally runs for 8-10 hours for some the more complex designs of experiment. I usually let it run over night, review the results, iterate the DoE and run again. So, just to be clear, XFR and PBO run by default on the Ryzen 5? I did notice that the "auto" setting runs the RAM at just over 2100 MHz, so I might start out by just enabling XMP and running some tests.

Thanks again.

Make sure you're running the latest BIOS version for your mobo. If not, flash it, reboot, clear CMOS, then reboot again. This should guarantee the latest version is up and running as it should. If you're successful here - just try XMP and see how it goes.

If XMP sticks after all this, run a few stress test. If all is OK - go for it. You should have fastest, most stable system w/o any tweaks or risks.

Maybe [URL=https://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/index.php]https://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/index.php[/URL] will have a latter (albeit beta) BIOS. With ASRock I see many people having greater success with the aforementioned beta versions, esp. when it comes down to PBO & XFR.

Keep us posted, we love success stories!

paologab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paologab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:51pm
Hi, I fully agree with xhue.
You'd better test it thorougly before use it for your works with XFR/PBO enabled.
In my case it's the home pc, so nothing critical and, anyway I' m using quite silent fan settings for air cooling because, to reach and maintain 85 Celsius degree, I've to run stress-ng --matrix 0 (ie matrix operation on all cores at 100% cpu) paired with four parallel istances of gputest to raise well the case temperature. Not a real situation for my needs.

XFR isn't enabled by design, you have to accept a disclaimer (you are enabling OC) and find where it's nested in the bios (advanced, etc).
Even team XMP isn't selected by default, but it's very easier to activate it.

Yes I'm using the 1.62 beta bios, courtesy of jz electronic & asrock bad beaten r&d

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X w/Wraith prism
x470 Taichi bios 3.50
16gb HX432C16PB3K2/16 (hynix H5AN8G8NCJR-UHC)
M.2 970 EVO, SATA SSD, 2 SATA HDD
AMD Radeon RX 580 8G OC
Linux Kernel 5.4
Manjaro Stable XFCE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic