ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi - 3/4 GPU Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twik25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi - 3/4 GPU Issues
    Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:29am
Hi everyone,

I have been running 2 1080 TI on my x399 Taichi since December with no issues. I recently purchased 2 more for a quad GPU setup (no SLI - this is for Octane Render).

I am able to get 3 GPUs to read if I occupy PCIE slots 1, 3, & 5. Slot 2 will read a single card, or even dual cards... but I can not get it to work with more than 2 GPUs. It either hangs up on Windows login, or only shows 2 GPUs in device manager IF it does login.

I have tried both with and without using the additional Graphics 12v connector.

I am running Windows 10, version 1709.

M2.1 currently has my boot drive - NVMe M.2.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 7:06am
Hi twik25,

Although I'm not familiar with this particular mobo of yours, I know a few things, namely:

- check for BIOS updates and apply accordingly
- check mobo manual for details about multi-GPU configurations
- you should UNINSTALL ALL GPU drivers before you make a physical/HW change to the GPU system; after that you should shut down the PC and tweak with GPUs
- make sure you're using the latest nvidia drivers once you get back in Windows, older ones are known to hate Threadrippers

manodzit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manodzit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 5:30pm
Hi twin,

I am planning on the same motherboard with quad gpu did you find any solutions? Did it work? Are you able to run quad gpu on it?

M.

twik25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twik25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 11:36am
Hi Manodzit,

Yes I was able to get 4 gpus to work.

To be honest, I am not sure what finally did it. Window forced an update to 1803 on me, and when I had some downtime between projects I took another stab at getting everything to work. I did fresh install of nvidia drivers, and then shut down and installed the additional card. It hung up on the windows login, and wouldn't let me do anything - but I let it keep going as I could tell something was working in the background (intermittent mouse icon). After 10 minutes or so, it gave me the login screen, and then froze. On restart, all 4 cards were seen by Device Manager, but 2 of them were disabled. I reinstalled Nvidia drivers (again) and it has been working great since.

I think it was a combination of Windows 1803 and the double reinstall of the drivers that worked, but who knows.

For what it is worth, I didn't want to have 4 gpus stacked in my machine (heat management), so I opted for going with a Thermaltake View 31 case that has vertical GPU bracket. So I have 3 stacked, and 1 vertical gpu using GPU riser cable. Going this route, I only have 1 card that is running hotter than others. During full render sessions on Octane, 3 cards are at 61C and one is at 75C (The middle one in the stack of 1080ti Turbos).

manodzit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manodzit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 3:38am
Sweet news!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic