ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi: CPU Temperature Hell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WormSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi: CPU Temperature Hell
    Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 12:15am
I just put together a 2990WX system for rendering, but the CPU temperatures is driving me nuts. The BIOS reports that it idles at ~51°, and Corsair Link reports ~72°, but Ryzen Master reports ~23° and is supposedly the "true" value?

I can see hundreds of posts all over the internet about this issue, and most just hand-wave the issue and say to ignore it, but under full load these inflated temperature values are passing 105° and triggering a thermal shutdown, making the system basically useless... O.o

How is everyone else dealing with this issue?
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 12:19am
The 2990WX is a beast in every sense of the word, incl. the thermals!

You definitely need to buff the cooling. If you need every bit of performance it's also worth to look for liquid metal TIMs (no bare-copper bases!).

Having thermal shutdowns is really a telling sign. Check how your cooler is mounted, too.
WormSlayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WormSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 1:15am
I have a Corsair H115i cooler on there, should that not be sufficient?

I've removed, checked and remounted the cooler 3 times now, even cleaning it off and buying expensive 3rd-party thermal paste the 3rd time, it seems to be fine.

And again; Ryzen Master, which everyone says is the one true measure of actual CPU temperature, reports sane values, while the BIOS reports ~25° higher, and Corsair Link reports another ~20° higher than that, all at the same time.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 1:51am
There is a well-known temp. delta with BIOS and other tools. Pure mismatch in reported values shouldn't worry you.

Actual values shouldn't bother you unless you're experiencing thermal throttling or shutdowns. Check if your CPU core speeds are throttling under load.

Assuming no OC, put all cores/threads under stress and check (HWiNFO64 maybe?) how the clocks and the temps are moving with time.

H115i is a decent cooler, only that it's not covering the entire CPU shroud. 2990WX is a full-blown design where all the 'core complexes' are enabled, meaning there is heat everywhere. Liquid metal is not applicable here, as H115i has pure copper base plate, which is a shame really. Liquid metal can easily save you 5-15 deg. C.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WormSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:32am
Huh, the H115i was recommended to me for this CPU, are you saying its not actually capable of cooling it?

Everyone keeps saying the temp mismatch is nothing to worry about, but it is causing thermal throttling and shutdowns under full load.

This is what it looks like right now idling at the desktop:
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:03am
If you're running the latest BIOS (3.33D from JZ), latest OS patches and latest Ryzen Master, then these are not just discrepancies!

More so, when you're throttling and shutting down during loads, that's defo an issue!

H115i is VERY capable, indeed. Problem is that almost half of the CPU 'lid' is not covered by Corsair's coldplate. Because air is a terrible heat conductor, heat quickly builds up in the non-covered (by H115i) parts of the CPU lid, effectively causing the CPU to overheat. It's simple physics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WormSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:30am
Seems like all the temperature-related problems were being caused by the "Corsair Link" software adding 22°, instead of subtracting 27°...

With the "Corsair ICUE" software installed instead, its now reporting the correct temps and stopped shutting down under load.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:46am
Holly...

Moral of the story? Don't use SW for HW's job.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic