ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to Set Fan Speeds for Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Set Fan Speeds for Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sithtiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sithtiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Set Fan Speeds for Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI
    Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 3:00pm
Thank you TSD. I'm trying that out now. I apologize for the long post. I hope it works right because I'm O/Cing at 4.7GHz right now and had a crash. I believe it's due to the fan speed not ramping up correctly. I had it at 4.8GHz as well and it ran perfectly while playing BFV for about 40 minutes straight. Then, I had a crash. It's very possible, it was my fault, I might have changed something. I'm not new to O/Cing at all, but this setup is new. I'm upgrading from an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo and this Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI/ac mobo has 2 to 3 times as much control as the MSI Z97 had to offer.

This is my first ASRock mobo. Anyway, I started getting some BSOD's that are either related to heat or more precisely fan speed I believe, because I have AIDA64 installed as well as Hardware Monitor CPUID CPU-Z, Sandra 64 etc....a ton of monitoring software. It seems it's the CPU fan. The fan is in excellent condition, it's just not set up right. I have it plugged into CPU1 and I have a 200MM fan intake in the front. I set it to monitor the CPU instead of the mobo because the mobo temp is fine. I have another 200mm fan at the top of the case, pushing the hot air out. I also have a 120mm exhaust fan plugged into a 4-pin Molex adapter, which can't monitor temps. My from 200mm fan can as it's plugged into the mobo.

Anyway, I had the computer lockup while playing music. I rebooted and noticed the CPU fan was only going up to 500 RPM when I'm O/Cing currently to 4.7GHz, but I'm using Speed Step and Intel Turbo Boost, so it's not always running at top speed when it doesn't need to. I haven't altered the voltage yet and don't plan to hopefully. I'd like to get it to run at 5GHz stable, but I realize I might have to raise the voltage to do that, but right now, I want to run at 4.8GHz stable, but trying 4.7GHz right now.

I have a question. I uninstalled the Phantom Gaming Tuning Utility because the fans didn't seem to be working correctly. The fans would only ramp up when I'd run the fan test and then go back down or when I pushed apply, but fan speeds would ramp up, but wouldn't go back down, even when CPU was running at a lower speed. I'll reinstall it if this doesn't work.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 12:05pm
Dear Sithtiger,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your case, please try to set the fan speed setting at UEFI/BIOS.
BIOS Path: Advanced > H/W Monitor > FAN-Tastic Tuning

The fan speed can monitor the CPU temperature or the M/B temperature.
Please monitor the CPU temperature at Phantom Gaming Tuning utility, and check if the fan speed can work at the curve you set.

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
Sithtiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sithtiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 3:00am
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to set my fan speeds in the UEFI with the templates and custom. I installed ASRock Phantom Gaming Tuning, but I don't seem to understand how it works. I've tried using the template speeds...Silent, Standard, Performance and Full and can't get it to seem to work right. I've checked the boxes so it will load with Windows. This is only temporary as I want to set these in the UEFI to use instead of this Windows app. So I run a test to stress the CPU and the fans do nothing. I have to click start fan test or if I put a custom fan curve on a specific fan, like the CPU fan and it just ramps up to full speed when I have a custom curve. It should automatically speed up when the temperature goes up but doesn't.

I'm new to Asrock and I have a Cooler Master HAF 212 with a 200mm fan at the top pushing hot air out. I have another 200mm fan in the front pulling cool air in, a 120mm on the HSF of my CM Hyper 212 EVO of course and a 120mm on the back pushing hot air out of the case. I also had a 120mm on the side of the case pushing air in, but I'm wondering if I need that or not. I don't want to create negative air pressure. I don't think I am with the 120 on the side but noticed, the temps seem to be the same when I've been running a stress test.

Anyway, I'd REALLY appreciate it if someone could tell me how to create a custom fan curve, or rather how to get it to work. I know how to create one. I just can't get it to run at all from the UEFI and when using the Phantom Gaming Tuning app, it only works when I click apply, but won't stop or the fan speeds won't go down when I stop stress testing the CPU #1. Same goes for the case fan #3.

I've already updated my mobo's bios to the latest version. Thanks in advance for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic