ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399 Taichi Array w M.2 NVMe issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bs2069 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x399 Taichi Array w M.2 NVMe issues
    Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:10am
System:
X399 Taichi(BIOS V P3.30)
Threadripper 1950x
64gb GSkill Sniper 3200 RAM (4x16)
4x4TB Barracuda HDD (trying to RAID 10 them)
500gb M.2 NVMe Samsung EVO 970

I will try to be nice in this post but so far I am less than thrilled with this garbage they call a motherboard.

Now that I have that out of my system, I have the most up-to-date BIOS and have had all sorts of problems with a SATA array on it. I have 4x4tb HDD attached to ports SATA 1-4 on the motherboard. I created a RAID 10 and after fighting with it(no help from their technical support and thank god for Reddit) for a couple of days I finally got Windows 10 to install. After doing some updates, installing some motherboard drivers, and rebooting it started telling me there was issues with my drive although it would let me reinstall Windows on it again without issues and back to installing updates and drivers and back to issues. Round and round we go.

I was planning on buying an M.2 NVMe anyway so I went ahead and ordered that to see if anything else could shake out from that. I get the drive and install it and install Windows 10 onto it. When I boot up into Windows 10 and install the RAID drivers it isn't finding the array. I then decide to maybe try a fresh install onto the NVMe drive and just try loading the array drivers at the time of install just to see what happens. I boot into the installation and I see the NVMe. I then install the drivers for the RAID card and poof, the NVMe is gone but the RAID is there to install upon. WTF?

I did try removing the RAID and when I boot up I can see all four drives in Windows 10. This leads me to believe there is an issue with this board unless someone else has any advice.

Thanks for any help.
bs2069 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bs2069 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 9:21am
Ok, so I might have found part of the answer here. It was my understanding that the installation of a NVMe drive would not interfere with any of the 8 SATA ports however a SATA M.2 would.

I decided to try moving SATA port 1 over to port 5 just because I was wondering if that could possibly be it. It looks like it is seeing both now but as soon as I installed the RAID card drivers and reboot I get the "drive issues" warning that pops exactly like it did when I installed Windows directly on the RAID 10 drive and it won't let me boot up. I wonder if there is some sort of driver issue going on now???

I have this almost exact same setup on my other computer and it was so easy to setup. Completely ridiculous that it is this hard to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic