ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMD AB350 cannot boot past 2667 Mhz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zekeiso420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMD AB350 cannot boot past 2667 Mhz
    Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 3:04pm
Hi there, I recently bought 16gb of G.Skill Tridentz Cl14 3200Mhz RAM, and I can't seem to run it past 2667 Mhz. I've tried to manually set the timings, enable only the xmp, overclock cpu, run the cpu at stock speeds, I've tried using ryzen master, everything really. I'm hoping it's not a problem of supported speed as I'm really not looking forward to purchasing another board.
nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 2:28am
Well, if you're using Raven Ridge (ie, an APU 2200G/2400G/200GE), they are super finicky as they use system memory in place of VRAM.   If you're using a regular Ryzen CPU, some of the boards and memory sticks simply don't like each other. This is a well worn topic and lots of people have had frustrations, but in many cases, its the memory marketers that made a mess of things.

I would refer to the correct memory QVL for the board, and make sure you match the part number EXACTLY, as most memory stick marketers are fabulous at confusion. A product number can be off by 1 letter or number and be completely different. If its on the QVL, it should work correctly at the tested speeds.

Also, XMP is in most cases designed around Intel CPU memory characteristics and doesn't always work well with AMD, even though the memory chips would work fine under normal circumstances.

I had to swap around several different kits on my various machines until they all behaved properly.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic