ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Terrible Bugs on Z170 Gaming K6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peetza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terrible Bugs on Z170 Gaming K6
    Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:09am
My board crashes routinely while in UEFI. (BIOS 1.60 even though the APP Shop shows 1.70 is current, it never actually installs or shows on the web as available) First I thought it was showing A6 bug but now I'm pretty sure it's Ab. The crashes are completely random and may happen 5 seconds after booting in, or after changing a setting or just when scrolling through menus.

When it does work, many times, it shows completely nonsensical cache or memory ratios and won't boot because of it. Such as a cache speed of 8000mhz with a BCLK of 150, FCLK of 400 and multiplier of 8, or 20, or 40, doesn't matter, it'll show 8000 for the cache and won't boot.  

Peetza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peetza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 8:43am
Well, after 3 attempts to contact Asrock technical support about my issues and getting no response from them whatsoever, I have solved my own issue.... I'm going to eBay my Asrock board and buy an Asus. Angry
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 1:00pm
I am sorry to hear that. There are a few things you can try that may help with UEFI issues.

Clear CMOS using this method to ensure any and all corrupted values are reset. Once done remove RAM and install a single module and see if the problem persists. The issue sounds like corrupt UEFI values which can be causes by a number of factors, CPU improperly seated, bad CPU cache, faulty RAM, improperly seated RAM, improperly seated add in cards, bad SATA cables and a bad board to name the most common culprits.

It seems many users are having issues with Z100 series products still, from all manufacturers. This is to be expected, with any new platform there are always teething problems. 

good luck
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 1:06pm
If you are still interested in figuring out your issue, we will be glad to help you in this forum.

Did you try clearing the CMOS/UEFI? You can do that with the clear CMOS button on the IO panel of your board. Shutdown the PC and turn off the PSU before you press the clear CMOS button.

If your UEFI/BIOS is corrupted for some reason, you can use the backup BIOS by moving the BIOS selection switch from the A to B position, again with the PC shutdown and the PSU turned off.

I suggest trying the backup BIOS as a test. When using the backup BIOS, if you still get the crazy values for some options, you may have a defective board.

The procedure for using the backup BIOS and copying it to the main BIOS chip is in your board's manual, or just read it here:

The AB or A6 POST code you see is normal when in the BIOS interface. Those codes are related to checking the drives connected to the board, and is the last thing done during POST. POST has not completed when we use the BIOS interface, so the last POST process code run before we use the BIOS interface is displayed. If you clicked on "Discard changes and exit" in the Exit screen, the single beep POST Ok signal would happen immediately. That is, if you have a POST beep speaker installed, and POST beeps enabled in the BIOS.

Questions for you:

This sounds like a new build with this board. Has the BIOS had these problems from the first time you started the PC with this board? Or have you used it for a while and just recently began having this problem?

Were you able to install your OS on this PC? You mentioned the crazy values in the BIOS stopped the PC from booting. That implies the PC has an OS installed. Or are you stuck in the BIOS and can't do anything else?

Peetza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peetza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 10:29pm
I have cleared the CMOS by the usual methods.

The Ab or A6 (it's either a small b or a 6) only happens when the system stops responding. It's not part of the normal boot procedure. I can't click anything and the system is completely non responsive when the error appears. Oddly, the mouse still works, but I can't click anything.

The PC works perfectly normal in every way once it boots into Windows. It passes numerous CPU and memory stress tests and runs for days at 100% CPU load at 4.7Ghz. 

The problem in the BIOS only happens sometimes and seems mainly random although I suspect it is related to BCLK overclock settings in some way. I don't believe I've seen it any "ordinary" (near 100) BCLK settings. 

More concerning to me, at this point, is the failure of Asrock customer support. What if this board is/was a major failure? I go 3 tries (via 3 methods) over a weeks time with no response whatsoever. 

Edited by Peetza - 24 Oct 2015 at 10:30pm
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 4:21am
TSD did not respond because of lack the details.

What CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, HDD, SSD, ODD etc?
Overclocked - YES / NO, and how, BCLK / MULTI?

Memtest86+ / HDTune / SeaTools / WD Life Data Diagnostics?

990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
Peetza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peetza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 6:32am
Tech support from a reputable company will ask for details that are needed. Besides which, this thread is but one of THREE attempts over the course of a week trying to reach them. One sent from the website, which included system information as requested in their form, one sent from the UEFI Tech Support window (WHICH BY DEFAULT INCLUDES THE SYSTEM CONFIGURATION) and now this thread. 

Unless one of the folks above is a company rep (they haven't said so), Asrock STILL hasn't responded. 

The error occurs with or without an ODD and/or secondary HD hooked up. The main HD is a Samsung EVO SSD that came directly from a working system and has passed (repeatedly) SeaTools testing and other SMART/integrity tests.

The error occurs whether or not the system is overclocked but seems more likely when it is overclocked. Mainly, (as I said) seems completely random. It seems to occur most often when a setting is changed but sometimes it happens within moments of entering UEFI, before anything is touched.

The crash occurs ONLY while in the UEFI. The system is completely stable (well, as stable as Windows gets) any time outside the UEFI interface. It passes ANY sort of benchmark, memory and/or stress utility repeatedly (PassMark, GeekBench, Prime95, FurMark, CPUID and others) besides reliably playing games like Battlefield 4, and runs a distributed computing client at 100% CPU load (8 threads) 24/7 without problems. 

Edited by Peetza - 25 Oct 2015 at 6:37am
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 6:41pm
Take an USB drive, format it to FAT32, download the latest UEFI Instant flash ROM's.

Insert the USB on the rear USB2.0 port, on POST, press rapidly F6 to enter the Instant Flash menu.

After the wizard detects the ROM, You will be prompted to chose the ROM to flash.

Please note that You should restore default settings in the UEFI and do not overclock
before flashing the UEFI.

990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
poipoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poipoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:59pm
I have the exact same bug on a Z170 Extreme 4 with :
  • Intel Core i7 6700K 4x 4.00GHz,
  • 600 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM Modular 80+ Gold
  • 32GB (2x 16384MB) G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 Dual Kit

The motherboard was already not booting reliably (taking a lot of time and sometime not successfully recognising the HDD to boot from (although thier was only one and this exact same HDD in another PC will boot without problem for years and still does).

I tried to load the xmp settings of the memory. The motherboard took even more time to restart, after many trial said it failed and I had to press F2 to enter UEFI. There, the Cache was at 5000-6000 Mhz (don't remember what exactly as I tried to correct as fast as possible before it burned. I reseted to default. But problem of stability is still there. Sometime it would boot fast and run for many hours without problem but as I just bought it, I just sent it back.

The bios was up to date (3.20) as I paid the shop to do it before shipping.

If other models of the same Z170 series are although buggy, I should take an ASUS or is the problem taken seriously and being resolved? I had an Asrock for my last PC and was really happy with it, it works perfect after 4 years. So I'm really disappointed here to see such a dangerous bug being still there after it has been reported for months!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic