ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB weirdness Asrock Taichi x399

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontlookforlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB weirdness Asrock Taichi x399
    Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:19am
Having an issue since I put my build together a year and a half ago.

When using an external usb 3 drive connected to the front panel of my case, the drive would disconnect and I would get a blue screen. Upon reboot, blue tooth was gone. In the device manager, there would be a unknown USB device listed.

No manner of driver installs and reinstalls would get the internal bluetooth to return until I shutdown the computer and turned off the switch to the power supply. Upon flipping the switch on the power supply and restarting, bluetooth would return and work until I plugged a drive into the front panel and then I'd get the blue screen again. Sometimes the computer would shut down immediately, sometimes I would work for a few hours and then it would crap out.

It happens with flash drives, SSDs, spinners, powered by adapter, or powered by the port. It happened if all the other ports were used or none of them were used. It happens with various programs, Premiere, Resolve, After Effects etc.

This also has happened across all bios updates, OS updates etc.

Here's what I have done:

1. Uninstalled all USB drivers and bluetooth drivers and reinstalled the latest
2. Connected the USB front panel into a different USB 3 header on the mobo
3. Complete reinstall of Windows 10 updates, drivers as of 10/07/2018
4. Replaced the entire front panel assembly of the case and USB 3 header cable
5. Turned off all USB power management, sleep etc.

Ultimately, my "fix" was just to never use the front panel USB and the machine has been rock solid since. All of the other USB 3 ports work perfectly with zero issues except...

The other day I used a USB 3.1 drive in the 3.1 slots in back panel (which I had never used up until now) and the drive shut off and I got the blue screen and no bluetooth upon startup.

So what is this weird relationship between the front panel USB 3, back panel USB 3.1, and bluetooth? From looking through the device manager, it seems they are on the same lane or bus or something? I dont really know. Those workings are beyond my knowledge.

Anyone have an idea what might be going on?

Asrock X399 Taichi (bios 3.3)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
G.skill TridenZ DDR43200 4x16GB
2 Asus ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
3 Samsung 500GB M.2 NVMe
4 Samsung 1TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64
JTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 12:04pm

Four years after you posted this, I just found it while trying to understand why my front panel (side) USB ports have been acting flaky. But Lo and Behold, I was also trying to discover why my Bluetooth had totally disappeared. It was not in Device Manager, no icon in the task bar, no 'on' switch in settings, and even an error that my device did not even have bluetooth! For weeks I've tried to fix bluetooth. Now after reading this and shutting down my machine, turning the power switch off (and pulling the plug for good measure), I restarted my machine and voila!! Bluetooth is all back and working! Hallelujah. That's the good news.

Unfortunately, now I'm concerned that the front USB ports are going to knock out Bluetooth again. So I'd like to know if anyone (attn: ASRock?) has figured out what causes this. The front USB ports have gotten to where the wouldn't work with every USB drive, then they acted as if they didn't supply enough power for some purposes. I finally installed an external USB hub plugged into the back to at least be able to reach a USB port from my chair.. ug!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve both the front USB ports and Bluetooth to be reliably fully functional (again)... I'd appreciate the help.
JTT
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic