ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgraded to 32GB and lost speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgraded to 32GB and lost speed
    Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 3:46am
I recently upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 32GB (thanks, Chrome and G Suite Apps). Everything is running fine, aside from the dip in performance (I've gone from 3200 to 1866). While I wasn't shocked to see reduced speed, I was hoping these sorts of kinks would've been worked out by now.

I'm running an earlier BIOS, as I never really saw the need to update it, so I'm hoping there's a chance here I can boost the speed up a bit with a few adjustments.

What I'm after is 32GB @ 3200. Can that even be done with a Summit Ridge CPU / X370 combo? If so, what would you recommend I do? Upgrading the MOBO/CPU is not off the table.

SPECS
Fata1ty X370 Gaming Professional
Ryzen 7 1800X
G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX [x4]

Thank you in advance for reading!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 4:04pm
1866? Is the system unable to post with faster speeds set? DDR4 should run at 2133 minimum, not running higher than 1866 indicates a compatibility issue. I have a few suggestions you can try:

1. Clear CMOS completely (pull power and CMOS battery for an hour)
2. Check the new kit on it's own and see what speed you can get it to. If it won't go as high as the older kit then it may be using different/lower binned memory chips.
3. If the second kit checks out, mark the RAM so you know which are the older and newer ones (stickers/tape) and try them in different combinations.
4. Update to the latest BIOS for your board. Make sure to use the instant flash method. If your current version is older than 3.3 you will need to update to the bridge BIOS first. Before updating anything make sure you install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA" (link on your BIOS download page). Once you have the bridge BIOS (3.3) updated you can go ahead and update to the latest available for your board.

BIOS updates for AM4 are typically released to improve RAM support so being on an "older version" could well be your problem. Good luck
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 9:34pm
While I totally agree with Xaltar here, I'd like to point out a few things.

First, 1st gen Ryzen with X370 are known for their hard time with 4 sticks of RAM. It's sort of a long shot. That's the reason you won't see the QVL populated with 32GB (4 sticks) @ 3200MT/s for X370 mobos. Although, 3000 or 2900-ish should run OK.

Second, oddly as it seems, there is a chance that some combination of different RAM sticks in different slots may work wonders. It's 4^4 combinations, so good luck.

As for the BIOS tricks, maybe the guys here will be able to help you more as I don't know the hallows of settings for that particular board? Hint - also check Ryzen DRAM calculator and Taiphoon Burner.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:59pm
Thank you both! I will proceed with updating the BIOS and begin thoroughly testing the sticks. At least it seems like there's a chance ;)
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 1:20am
Not sure why I can't edit my last post...

I was about to update from 3.10 to 3.30, but I thought I'd take a quick look around to record my settings first. To the left of the frequency selection for the memory, the 1866 was replaced with 3200. I've confirmed this in the Windows Task Manager, as well as CPU-Z. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I suspect this may have had something to do with training... That would've been the 3rd/4th startup since I installing the memory.

Should I update the BIOS anyway? Like most people, I want to get the most out of my hardware investment, but I do prize stability over performance. This Ryzen PC is a work computer, first and foremost.

On the other hand, more performance might equate to higher quality output (over the long term), so I would welcome any tips on how to get there safely :)

I currently have the CPU set to 4000mhz in the BIOS, but I'm showing only ~3700mhz in CPU-Z. I believe the voltage is set around 1.38, and then I adjusted two of the "Levels" below to Level 4 and Level 3, if I recall correctly.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 3:32am
Overclocking the CPU itself puts more stress to its subsystems, e.g. the IMC (mem. controller). For this very reason it's adviseable to try and get the RAM running at max possible speed first.

After the RAM it stable, you can proceed with the CPU.

In practice it boils down to what will benefit your workloads the most, high RAM speed or high CPU speed.

As for the BIOS, your mobo supports flashback, so I'd recommend you try different BIOS version, even beta ones. With ASRock many beta versions behave better than the 'stable' ones.

After everything is set, always test thoroughly everything with various benchmarks and stress tests.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic