ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Taichi freezes constantly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z390_freeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Taichi freezes constantly
    Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 1:30am
By constantly I mean it freezes about every 10min to hour while using it

It also freezes on cue when installing some of the Intel driver software, but then seems to be able to get past it and carry-on. I've never had a board this picky before.

Win 10 Pro
i9-9900k (temps are like 103F)
Z390 Taichi
64 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, 3333Mhz but running stock speeds (CMK64GX4M4C3333C16)

Hangs tend to occur when installing a driver, or when starting to type into a search bar

I read some other threads that appear to lay the blame at Intel RST or other drivers, but it seems nutty to me that I can't use stock intel software. I had the same problem as another thread where trying to install drivers direct from Intel or even from ASRocks support page caused it to hang, so reinstalled windows and installed drivers direct from the CD. This produced better results, but I've still had several hangs since doing nothing demanding.

Also seen instances where the computer fails to post, sometimes it hangs while trying to load windows.

z390_freeze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z390_freeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 5:04am
Some more info. PC froze while playing a game, out of frustration I did nothing for about 45-60 seconds, then it came back, no errors. Game still playing as though nothing had happened.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 3:59pm
Check your Windows Event Viewer, you can just type "event viewer" into the search box and it should pop up. Once open go to:

Windows Logs -> System
Right click "System" and select filter current log
Check "Critical" "Error" and "Warning" the click OK

Take a look at what is happening at the time of the freezes. This will help identify where the problem is coming from. Given the system revives after the freeze there should be something there to see. Sometimes a hard lock will prevent a log from being written but that shouldn't be the case in your situation. Get back to us with your findings.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 10:56pm
Is the RAM on the QVL ?
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z390_freeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 3:14pm
RAM is on the QVL, however only for 2/4 slots. Didn't notice that.

Have another issue that developed. CPU power supply on the motherboard squeals, loudly, when cpu is under load. This doesn't occur normally, but does occur when say benchmarking with prime95. Assume I have a bad cap or similar? It is a bit hard to isolate the sound, but it is instant with CPU load so doesn't seem like a fan bearing or anything like that.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 4:57pm
That is coil whine by what you describe. I believe ASRock typically honors a warranty claim for it even though it does not effect the system or performance in any way. Coil whine happens when the insulation (specifically to deaden that sound) is not sufficient, it does not effect the coil's performance in any way but the sound can be very irritating if it happens all the time. If you are averse to the sound you can RMA the board for a replacement. I would recommend this as it would also help rule out the board for your other issue. If the new one does not have the issue then you dodged 2 bullets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z390_freeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 4:51am
I submitted a support request and it was not returned. I am a bit infuriated with my first ASROCK MB.

Upon reading some of the other complaints about freezing, I tried disabling the Third Party SATA 3 Controller under advanced/storage. This worked like a champ.

It also disabled my blu-ray drive and a large NAS drive as I use all of the other ports in a raid array. I can't tell you how frustrating this is. I am not sure if this is fixable with a bios update, or if it is a hardware issue. But with the Third Party SATA 3 Controller enabled, my system is not stable, and can be triggered to crash upon trying to install or uninstall many different types of software. For example, if you run the AMD cleaner software to remove old drivers, it insta-kills my PC.

If you disable Third Party SATA 3 Controller, I can run AMD cleaner all day long. The intel software also tends to immediately crash with the third party controller enabled. Can someone from ASRock please help or respond?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic