ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi Cooler & Graphics card

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi Cooler & Graphics card
    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 4:26am

I am in the process of completing a X399 Taichi, Thraedripper 2950x, & Corsair H80i V2 cooler. The cooler was one of those recommended for the CPU.

After installing the cooler, I noticed that while it is a 120mm fan, it is a double fan with a very large cooler. I then noticed that it blocks the PCIE 1 slot.

The question I have: can you put the graphics card in PCIE 2?

Thanks.
scjconsulting
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:17am
Yes, you can. In theory it should work just as fine, as if it was in the first slot.

Offtopic - IDK where did you see the H80 is recommended for that beast of a CPU, but depending on your workloads you can be severely limited by thermals, i.e. CPU will not ramp up its clocks where it usually would (had it the temp headroom).
scjconsulting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:18am
I went to the AMD site where they have a recommended list of coolers. There were a number of them that just would not work with the Taichi, like the Wraith Ripper cooler.
scjconsulting
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 4:26am
Jeeez, AMD shot themselves in the foot with this cooler.

Don't get me wrong, your CPU won't fry or blow up. You just won't have the extra oomph your CPU can offer under the right conditions.
scjconsulting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 4:59am

Do you have a cooler suggestion.
scjconsulting
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:55am
Depends on what do you prefer (AIO, air, custom), what are your workloads and how much case space you have in there (or out).

If we are talking about AIO, then my suggestion is 280mm or beyond.

Crucial for me at least is the coldplate. It should be designed for TR, preferrably nickel-plated, so you can use liquid metal TIM for the best results.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic