ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 Win10 boot problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wouter Bovelander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 Win10 boot problem
    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:36pm
Hi,

I've recently installed a new ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 motherboard and added an FX-4100 AMD CPU. Installed Windows 10 on a Crucial MX500 Sata SSD, connected to a converter board that converts M.2 to Sata.

Everything was running well, until I tried to overclock the CPU using the UEFI menu. Set it to 350Mhz higher than default. After restarting the machine I got a black screen and no access to the UEFI menu. So I reset the UEFI using the jumper on the main board. After this I got back into the UEFI menu, but Windows will no longer boot.

The boot options say "Microsoft Windows" and my Crucial Sata drive. Neither option boots into windows.

I've tried turning CSM off. This had no effect.

What has happened here?
What can I do to boot back into my Windows installation?

Kind regards,
Wouter
Isoceles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isoceles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 12:51am
Does it get to any of the Windows boot screens at all? I'd try making sure that CSM is still turned off, then temporarily disable Secure Boot and make sure that the "Fast Boot" or "Ultra Fast Boot" options are disabled. Also make sure that your GPU is enabled as the primary display output if there's an option for that.
Wouter Bovelander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wouter Bovelander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:38am

I've managed to boot from my UEFI USB stick, booting into the Windows installer.
From there I was able to get to the Windows Repair options and got to a command prompt.
My SSD (mounted as C:\) is perfectly fine! Diskpart reports the drive and partition as "Healthy" and with a GPT partition table.

Booting from that drive just results in a black screen.

I've turned off CSM, and made sure Fast Boot and Ultra Fast Boot are not enabled.

I have a feeling that the drive's UEFI boot manager is either missing or corrupted. Is there a way to check and/or correct that?
Wouter Bovelander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wouter Bovelander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:39am
Bumping up my question and adding some detail:

Hi,

I had a running system, which I attempted to overclock. Since I'm an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing, I changed the maximum CPU frequency from its default (I think it was 150Mhz) to 350Mhz. The computer booted to a black screen so I was forced to reset the UEFI using the old jumper technique. After this I have been unable to boot off my SSD drive, no matter what I tried. Here's the details:

I installed an ASRock 970Pro3 R2.0 (2.8 UEFI version) and connected a Crucial MX500 Sata SSD drive. One of those M.2 ones. Because there's no M.2 connector on the motherboard, I bought a very cheap M.2 to Sata converter board which worked fine. Installed Windows and everything, ran it for about a week, rebooted a bunch of times (it's so nice and quick I rebooted for fun sometimes).

Then, after playing Elite Dangerous I figured I could use some CPU overclocking (an AMD FX-4300). I did that because my mouse was sluggish and I hadn't found any other solution. The overclocking went bad. The system booted to a black screen, so I reset the BIOS to defaults using the jumper. But my system never booted from the SSD again. It just freezes. Each time, no matter what I try.

I've been able to boot my machine from a USB stick, running the Windows10 installation and repair tools. From the command prompt I can access the Crucial SSD just fine, chkdsk says it's ok, Windows can't repair it, I've run bcdboot c:\Windows on it, formatted it, reinstalled Windows on it, you name it. Nothing seems to get the SSD to boot.

Right now, I've set the Sata controller back to IDE mode (from AHCI mode) and reconnected my old, tired Sata HDD. Ran bcdboot on that and now I can boot again. The Crucial SSD drive is now installed as a regular data drive, which works just fine.

I've run out of ideas. Does anyone have a clue what could be the problem? Could it be that the UEFI keeps a copy of a profile for booting from the Crucial SSD? Do I need to take the battery out to resolve this? Or should I just buy a regular Sata SSD drive and install Windows on that?

Please help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic