ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H170M-ITX/DL. Where does the mSATA fit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H170M-ITX/DL. Where does the mSATA fit?
    Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 4:52am
Hi, new to the forum. Looking to downsize due to lack of space. So looking to get a new MB like the  H170M-ITX/DL motherboard. It mentions it accepts mSATA storage devices on its product page. Where would such a device fit? In the mini PCI-E slot? I can't see any other slot available.
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 5:13am
It should be the same MBO as the H170M-ITX/AC, without the AC module.
The AC model has no mSATA, but it is mentioned too.

There is a picture on NewEgg of the H170M-ITX/AC, and on it's back there is no mSATA too.

Misprint on two boards? Don't know.
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
iMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 6:47am
Ahhhh....I can see the H170M-ITX/AC on the Asrock page. It does show the wireless card inserted vertically into the mini PCIe slot. So I assume an mSATA storage device fits the same way.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by iMatt iMatt wrote:

Ahhhh....I can see the H170M-ITX/AC on the Asrock page. It does show the wireless card inserted vertically into the mini PCIe slot. So I assume an mSATA storage device fits the same way.

You are right.

If you check the Specification page of the H170M-ITX/DL, in the Slots section is describes the mini-PCI Express slot, and includes this line:

This Mini-PCI Express Slot supports WiFi and mSATA devices.

An mSATA SSD will fit horizontally in that slot, and IMO is really a preferred orientation for an mSATA SSD, as it will likely run cooler in that position.

There might be a setting in the UEFI to switch that slot between two operating modes, so check for that. This setting could be one that enables or disables a WAN card. An mSATA SSD will be listed in the Storage Configuration screen.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H170M-ITXDL/?cat=Specifications

ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:07pm
Greetings, This is ASRock Technical Support Department.

The mSATA device share the slot with mini-PCIE, which has same mechanical design but different signal.

However, the mini-PCIE H170M-ITX/DL supports mSATA signal, so you can feel free to use mSATA device on it.

If any, please feel free to let us know.

Kindest Regards,

ASRock TSD
tnerb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnerb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 10:42pm
As the SSD in the mSATA slot will be vertically oriented (perpendicular to the motherboard) with no real way to secure it, is this acceptable?

I'm concerned as all other mounting options I have seen for an mSATA SSD have it secured with a screw or bracket....

thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic