ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECC on skylake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ECC on skylake
    Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 10:43pm
Hi,

I'm preparing to buy a new rig for development based on Skylake cpus, but it would have to support ECC ram!

Until now, the only (fast enough) skylake cpus that support ECC ram are the xeon e3-1200v5 series. So, my question is:

Would a z170m-ITX/ac motherboard with a xeon e3-1275v5 support ECC ram? Or, would I have to search for a C236 WSI?

Thanks in advance!
marc__ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:19pm
Hi all,

I'm going to answer my own question, for future reference of others.

Xeon Skylake cpus are locked to a c236 chipset (or similar), so it is not possible to use a Xeon E3 V5 with a z170 motherboard.

To be able to use ECC ram it is necessary for the board to have the extra circuit board connections. Asrock has in the board description that the board support ECC ram _BUT_ in non-ECC mode. Other manufacturers state the board supports ECC ram, but you should check if the board supports ECC ram in ECC mode.

So, to use ECC ram, a C236 WSI is needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic