ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Fatal1ty not detecting NVMe drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Fatal1ty not detecting NVMe drive
    Posted: 07 May 2019 at 6:35am
I think this may generally be a bad board but thought I would check the forums before I pursued an RMA. I've also put in a request to tech support but haven't heard anything in response so far. Here is the configuration:

X399 Pro Gaming Fatal1ty
4x16 DDR4 2666 Crucial ECC
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe
EVGA Supernova G2 850W PSU
PNY Quadro P4000

I've already put together two machines that are nearly identical to this build, with the exception of the M.2 NVMe drive, and those machines are running perfectly. (In the previous machines the drives were 960 EVO, not NVMe.) In this case, the board actually has two problem. First, the board doesn't recognize the Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe drive. I have tried the drive in all three M.2 slots but it doesn't show up in the drive list or as a potential boot drive.

Second, it appears none of the A and B memory slots are working. With four memory sticks, the manual recommends installing in the A2, B2, C2, and D2, slots. In this case, the board is only recognizing the C2 and D2 sticks. Swapping the sticks from A & B for C & D yields the same result. And if only two sticks are used and populated in the A & B slots, the machine never boots successful at all, but automatically reboots before getting to the BIOS screen.

Any suggestions before I ship the board back for RMA? Thanks for the help!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:09am
Apart from the usual stuff (BIOS update, clear CMOS) you may want to re-seat the CPU. Sometimes TRs don't sit well in their sockets, which leads to similar issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic