ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Samsung 950 Pro M.2 not recognised Z170 Extreme7+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 not recognised Z170 Extreme7+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Prizm Prizm wrote:

Originally posted by gussboy gussboy wrote:

Should I need any "F6" additional driver if I only intend to run a Samsung 950 Pro in non-raid mode? 

Can someone please clarify this? I also have the Z170 Gaming ITX/ac, and am currently waiting for stock of the 950 Pro.

You'll be fine, I installed Win 10 last night on my 950 Pro in AHCI mode, without an F6 driver, and it worked perfectly. Using that PC now to write this post.

I would suggest letting Windows format the 950. You also must configure the CSM option.

With CSM Enabled, set the sub-option "Launch UEFI Storage OpROM Policy" to UEFI only. Or if your video source is GOP compatible (Intel graphics is GOP compatible, most newer video cards are too) you can set CSM to Disabled, which enables UEFI for all the sub-options.

This is my first non-RAID Windows installation in years! Pinch
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 1:32am
Originally posted by odiebugs odiebugs wrote:

Hey Parsec, miss you.

The 14.0 series adds the PCIE / NMVe RAID support, not the 14.6, we have the 14.5 EFI RAID driver in the UEFI,  if it was 14.6 we couldn't add a RST RAID driver.

The 14.0 release notes.  I know you like to be informed so it's why I'm posting it.

-Support for PCIe NVMe storage devices
- Support for up to 3 PCIe storage devices
-Support for RAID0/1/5 volumes with PCIe storage devices
-Support for RTD3 on RAID volumes
-NVMe1.2 compliance
-NVMe Security Send and Security Receive (no boot support)
-NVMe Autonomous Power State Transitions

Welcome back odiebugs, why do you miss me? Confused Where else should I be? Wink

Thanks for posting this information. I normally suggest using the latest IRST driver because if any bug fixes (and there are bugs in IRST if you check the Release Notes) related to NVMe were implemented after version 14.0, then I would prefer to recommend the latest version.

Given the way RAID for PCIe SSDs is working now with the latest version or IRST (14.6), which is not quite as good as it does with SATA SSDs, and since IRST 14.0 is the first version that officially supports PCIe SSDs in RAID, and the first that provides support for NVMe SSDs, I assume that later versions will work better.

The history of IRST shows us that newer versions are not always better in one way or another, but I'm willing to give Intel the benefit of the doubt in this case.

You lost me with this statement: "... we have the 14.5 EFI RAID driver in the UEFI,  if it was 14.6 we couldn't add a RST RAID driver". You are right about the 14.5 EFI Option ROM in the UEFI, but I don't understand the part about not being able to add a RST RAID driver.

I've used the 14.6 F6 driver and the 14.6 IRST Windows driver and UI software with the 14.5 Option ROM, and both installed fine. I'm just not getting your point.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 4:35am
@Parsec.

Sorry, I assumed you meant  that  support wasn't added until 14.6,  and it's not the option ROM, when you run pure UEFI  the firmware drops the ( CSMcore  Option Rom ) and it uses the EFI Sata driver in the UEFI.  Now it's called the RAID Driver, and is listed in UEFI as RAID Driver and not Sata Driver any longer. 

I also didn't mean you couldn't add the driver, I just meant that if the 14.5 didn't have PCIe support, adding the 14.6 or any windows based RST driver would be mute.  

We - meaning,  I have the ASrock extreme 7+  and have checked the new RAID Driver and the added NVMe support inside the UEFI. 

Been busy so I missed you.   Cry  Tongue

asrocking
PI2R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PI2R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 1:15am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I would never suggest creating your first PCIe SSD RAID 0 volume for a Windows installation.

Hi Parsec,

I saw your other thread when you were going through this with a couple of other users.

Although I have a question for you. Is is the same for a RAID 1 arrays?

I was planning on installing windows 10 pro/enterprise on a my 950Pro in a raid 1 array

Thank in advance
PI2R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PI2R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 6:37am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

WARNING: If you clear the UEFI/CMOS or update the UEFI to a new/different version, both of which set all UEFI options to their defaults, the RAID 0 array will fail and cannot be recovered.

That is not simply a case of booting the PC in AHCI mode, I wish it was. I learned this myself as every UEFI clear caused my RAID 0 volume of SM951s to fail. Other users confirmed this behavior.

I highly suggest installing Win 10 on a SATA drive in RAID mode, and then experiment with RAID 0 and your 950s. I would never suggest creating your first PCIe SSD RAID 0 volume for a Windows installation.

Hi again parsec,

For your information (and maybe others!) I thought that my experience might be out of interest.
I've just been doing some tests with the following config:
* ASRock Extreme 7+ (Firmware 2.10)
* Intel Core i7 6700K
* RAID 1: 2 x 512 Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe
* RAID 1: 2 x 1To Samsung 850 Evo SATA3

Inside the UEFI:
Disabled CSM under Boot menu
Set the SATA mode to be RAID
UEFI only, and enabled Rest
Built my 2 Raid1 with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology that appeared after an F10 (save and exist)
Override the Boot Option to be the DVD in UEFI mode
Reboot

Once in the disk selection menu within windows 10 installation, I converted my 2 RAID 1 arrays into GPT disks.
(At this stage just one thing was a bit weird: when listing the disks under the diskpart tool in order to convert them, both 850 Evo were selectable but only one 950 Pro was visible. I would guess this is due to the technology difference but that would be nice to know more about this just out of curiosity)
I installed windows on the M.2 NVMe raid1.

So far so good, as expected, windows was booting up quite fast :-)

From there I wanted to test 2 things:
1) Can the system recover from a CMOS clear/firmware update?
2) Is UltraFast Boot mode that quick? And Is it relly not possible to access UEFI again without clearing the CMOS?

Results:

1) So I turned on UltraFast boot mode, and indeed boot time is quite impressive!

2) Indeed once this option is turned on you cannot access UEFI anymore...! :-p
So I cleared the CMOS and I was able to test my first question.
To start with, of course UEFI has loaded default settings. I had to disable CSM again, turn on UEFI mode, etc... basically I had to reconfigure the BIOS.

First good news, once I had access to the Intel Rapid Storage utilities, I could see that both my RAID 1 arrays were still there.

Second good news, I could still boot on my previous installation of windows without any further work.

My conclusion: in RAID 1, it seems to be a lot safer to issues, UEFI updates, etc... Smile

I now feel good with my setup unless you have other concerns I should be aware of Sleepy

Edited by PI2R - 27 Dec 2015 at 8:01am
HAVEN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 7:13pm
Hi to all!

I would like to use  a  Z170 motherboard with a Samsung 950 Pro and I5 6600K cpu.  I want to feel confident that I will be able to use this combo as a boot device for Win7.

After doing my research i decided to buy an AsRock MB. Is Z170 Extreme 7+ a working solution with this set of hardware ? Is there another AsRock  MB i could use with 950 Pro and Win 7 boot OS ?

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic