ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking issues with z97 killer fatal1ty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ukkoclap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overclocking issues with z97 killer fatal1ty
    Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 9:58pm
Hi,

I decided to use the Asrock OC tweaker in the bios because stock clocking just doesn't do it for me anymore. First I'd like to give some information about my system, my CPU is cooled by Corsair watercooling which runs very low temps at 20 C idle. I'm using a i5 4670k

Inside the bios using the OC Tweaker I picked the 4.4ghz OC preset when I start up Windows 10 it gets stuck in a bootloop when windows attempts to start it gives and error upon starting windows and you get the same error everytime in a bootloop. Turning off the OC tool or lowering it to 4.2Ghz fixes the problem. I've already tested 4.2ghz and it runs very low at 30 C while idle and it runs very stable even onload in games while frapsing which can be CPU intensive. Seeing how well 4.2ghz runs so stable and i've seen people that use the same CPU and cooling system as me reaching a stable running 4.5Ghz.

Is this an issue with Windows 10, is anyone experiencing a simular issue?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 11:25pm
I am sorry to have to say this but not all CPUs are created equal. You should look up some guides on manually setting your overclock but off the bat it sounds to me like your Vcore as set by the 4.4ghz preset is either not enough or too high and causing overheating. Corsair only produce AIO water cooling (all in one) which, while better than most air coolers, are not as effective as custom professional water loops. Depending on what model you have, there are even some high end air coolers that perform better. Now don't get me wrong, I am not bashing on Corsair's AIO units I just wanted to make clear that you can be over heating even with an AIO cooler. My G3258 runs at 25c idle with a massive 1.45v Vcore, this means absolutely nothing to stability as power states lower the vcore at idle. What counts is your load temps and a low idle temp does not mean a lower load temp. My G3258 @ 1,45v vcore would jump up to 90c+ under load and instantly BSOD with the cooler I originally had it set up with. After upgrading to my Thermaltake Frio OCK I don't go over 75c with the same settings. All coolers have an upper limit to the amount of heat they can dissipate, the moment you reach that limit you will see temps jump and a BSOD or freeze will occur.  

I know this is coming out as a bit of a wall of text but I hope it is an interesting read. My advice would be to set your CPU to the 4.2 preset then just change the multi to 43 and test for stability. If you are still solid at 4.3 then you can try setting the multi to 44 (still on 4.2 preset) and see if that works for you. I would not recommend that you play with the vcore unless you know what you are doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic