ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Taichi Unable to boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSoundMan000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Taichi Unable to boot
    Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:17pm
Hi guys,

I've just done a build with the above board but things aren't looking so good. Whilst UEFI is stable, I can't get it to boot to anything (windows 10 installation USB, windows 10 iso to USB using rufus, ubuntu boot disk).

Its always random, sometimes it'll get a fraction of a second in, other times it'll almost make the minute. The basic behavior is an immediate crash (every LED off, almost as if no power) then a 2ish second delay and an immediate reboot.

I've tried every combination of RAM, settling on a single stick for the sake of removing potential complications. I've tried each M.2 slot for the main disk and several USB ports for the boot media. It appears to flash 00 on DrDebug each crash so I reseated the CPU to no avail.

Where do I start looking or have I copped a DOA?

Thanks guys

Further info:
ASRock Z390 Taichi LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 9700K Octa Core LGA 1151 3.60GHz Unlocked CPU Processor
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2E3200C1 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory Black
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe 1.3 M.2 (2280) 3-Bit V-NAND SSD - MZ-V7S500BW
Corsair CX850M 850W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply
be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Air Cooler
TheSoundMan000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSoundMan000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:45pm
Further information: The 4 pin power connector at the CPU is disconnected due to the PSU however this shouldn't be an issue given the CPU is completely stock.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSoundMan000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:57pm
Further yet, the same symptoms exist when booting on an external sata drive. The period is longer but the symptoms the same. This is with the M.2 completely removed so it is probably safe to presume the M.2 is not the issue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSoundMan000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:26pm
Power supply is tested to be working in another system, I'm starting to fear a DOA mobo, is there any way to isolate this or the CPU?
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:45pm
Power supply is tested to be working in another system, I'm starting to fear a DOA mobo, is there any way to isolate this or the CPU?

Replace one of them, I would try the cpu first. get the cheapest one off the QVL if you do not have one on hand.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Event4101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Event4101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 1:12am
About a month ago I purchased a Z390 Tachi and installed an Intel i3-9100 CPU and a pair of Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2666 8GB memory sticks. I'm using a Silverstone ST30SF 300 watt power supply that lacks the 8pin (ATX12V1) connector that the Tachi utilizes. Per the Tachi manual, with that power supply I was able to fully populate the ATXPWR1 (8) connector, the ATX12V2 (1) connector, and four pins (the pin 1/5 side) of the ATX12V1 (2) connector. Everything has been running well with three hard drives and onboard graphics. Booting from USB thumb drives hasn't been a problem either.

Since you seem to be having some random luck getting the system to start I doubt it is a power supply problem, unless the power supply is experiencing an issue with voltage regulation where one of the voltages is marginal or electrically noisy. Memory compatibility also seems to be an issue with some ASRock motherboards that I have used, and that certainly can lead to all sorts of stability issues.

ASRock support always seems to suggest clearing the cmos bios configuration, which is rather easy to do on the Tachi. There is a small push button (18) by the I/O panel that will clear the cmos. That might be worth a try since it won't cost anything.

You seem to feel confident that power and memory aren't the issue so, like member RLGL mentioned, probably trying a different CPU would be the next step. If you don't have a compatible CPU handy you might try purchasing another CPU. Most retailers offer a 30 day return policy, but check before making the purchase. Or you can purchase a cheaper CPU, like an Intel G4900 for around $60.

If you live near a Micro Center (here in the USA), for $25 they will test your components to help isolate the problem. At least that is a service offered by the Micro Center near me. I'd call and ask first if you opt for that option.

One other thing you might check, but might the CPU be overheating? Did you get a good smear of heatsink compound between the CPU and the heatsink? If there isn't a good thermal connection between the CPU and the heatsink I would imagine hotspots could develop and that could cause random crashes.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your troubleshooting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSoundMan000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:31am
Thanks for your reply. I had already cleared CMOS as per their instructions thinking that might have fixed the potential CPU seating error but unfortunately it didn't help :|

I managed to get power to all the connectors with a different supply and it didn't manage to fix things. I reseated the CPU again and it still didn't fix things... Until about 2am here when I decided I'd throw the GPU in to check it wasn't the issue. Well!

Onboard graphics seemed to be the issue given I've now run it non stop with no issues, even wiggling components to verify no loose connections. It's been benched and stressed and not a qualm but onboard graphics still fail. That seems to indicate somethings DOA I think?
Event4101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Event4101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:14am
A late nighter, I've been there and done that a few times. Glad to read that you had some success with the add-on graphics card.

The video gpu is actually onboard the Intel i7-9700k CPU and not part of the Z390 chipset. The motherboard will often have some signal level shifting or driver circuitry to support the video from the CPU, but usually that circuitry is rather incidental.

I can't say that I know what the Tachi has for video support circuity. It seems like it will still be difficult to determine if the problem is with the i7-9700K or the ASRock Tachi without swapping out one of those components.

Now that you have things running you might want to try using the Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool to see if it might be able to diagnose a problem with the UHD Graphics 630 GPU. I've never had the need to use it, but you might want to give it a try before making any new purchases or starting any RMAs.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/intel-processor-diagnostics-tool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSoundMan000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 11:24am
The CPU tester came back clean, I re-ran it a few times to make sure.

The only other thought I really have is perhaps the monitors being 4k is too much for it but isn't it smart enough to scale res in that instance?
Event4101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Event4101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:03am
I'm not really into the whole multimedia experience. I'm usually happy whenever I see the display illuminate with a picture at boot-up. I can't comment on the 4K capabilities of the integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 GPU but, according to the specs of the Intel i7-9700K, it does support 4k. The DisplayPort should be capable of providing 4096x2304@60Hz and the HDMI port 4096x2304@24Hz. I would think that should be sufficient to get a picture and have a computer that does not exhibit odd behavior.

It seems to me that the complexity of those two video interfaces can sometimes be fraught with display compatibility issues. Even the quality of the video cable can become a factor in whether a picture is displayed. Those times I have booted my computer using the HDMI interface, only to be met with a blank display, often left me yearning for the ease and reliability of the old 15-pin VGA video interface.

I assume you are using the latest Intel UHD 630 driver and the latest ASRock Tachi BIOS. Keeping everything updated with the latest firmware and software drivers is important. I can confirm that it was an eventual ASRock BIOS update that finally solved a frustrating HDMI problem I once had with another ASRock motherboard.

One last suggestion, as remote as this possibility might be, the Intel UHD 630 GPU must use a portion of the Corsair memory to function. An add-on graphics card has onboard memory and does not require the use of system memory to function. If you haven't done so already, it might be worth performing a memory test to see if any problems can be detected. Since you have 16GB of memory a thorough test will take many hours to complete. Windows 10 has a built-in memory diagnostics test, or you can use a program like memtest86.

I'm afraid those are the last of my suggestions. The only other option that I can see would be to go the route of exercising the process of elimination by swapping-out each component until you discover the culprit. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic