ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170 Extreme4+ does not start after UEFI Update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4+ does not start after UEFI Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centaur555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4+ does not start after UEFI Update
    Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 4:58am
Hello!

The mainboard was working fine with Windows 10 and UEFI 1.50.

I've updated UEFI version 1.50 to version 1.70 within the UEFI Internet Update function.

After 2 minutes I've got the success message and clicked on the message to reboot, but nothing happened.

I've waited 5 minutes and then turned the PC off and on.

The fans inside the case start working, but there is no picture on the monitor.

I've cleared the CMOS after that using the jumper.

Started again, but it still does not boot.

The LED code on the mainboards changes all the time (32 -> 35 -> xx etc), then it goes to 00 again, and starts changing again (looks like a loop).

Please help!

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 5:30am
Switch to BIOS 2 on the motherboard, that should get you up and running again. Make sure to use instant flash whenever updating BIOS, it is by far the safest.
centaur555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centaur555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 5:40am
Where to switch to Bios 2? Is it a jumper on the MB?

If I boot with Bios 1.0 again, how to flash 1.50 (that was working before I've updated to 1.70) so that 1.0 is not erased?

Edited by centaur555 - 09 Nov 2015 at 5:52am
pakozd000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pakozd000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 3:15pm
Hello!

I have a similar problem with gaming k6, I can't update BIOS (I have tried from internet in uefi, downloaded it and created my own flash drive, and even from windows).

My PC restarts, black screen and 00 on MB. Removing the CMOS battery resets it back to previous version. Any idea why I can't update BIOS?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by centaur555 centaur555 wrote:

Where to switch to Bios 2? Is it a jumper on the MB?

If I boot with Bios 1.0 again, how to flash 1.50 (that was working before I've updated to 1.70) so that 1.0 is not erased?

You need to read the section in your board's manual that describes the process about recovering the BIOS using the backup BIOS and the recovery procedure.

You have a manual that came with the board, or it can be downloaded from your board's page on ASRock's website:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4+/?cat=Manual

Or you can read it all right here. Shut down the PC and remove power before changing any switches!!!

I did not do you a favor by allowing you to not look at your board's manual. You did not even know you had a backup BIOS... Pinch

Finally, if you have a problem with a BIOS update, do not turn the board/PC off!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centaur555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Finally, if you have a problem with a BIOS update, do not turn the board/PC off!!

The problem was not with the update process, as I have had a success message.

The problem was that when I've clicked the success message away the system rebooted and got into a loop of restarts, so I had nothing else to do than to turn off the PC.

I was now able to recover the old bios and it works fine.

I still wonder why Bios 1.70 is not working on my system, as it's faily standard:

Asrock Z170 Extreme4+
Core i7 6700K Cpu
MSI Geforce 970 Video card
Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD
2x Kingston HyperX HX426C15FBK2/16 16GB kit (2x8GB) 2666MHz 1.2V, 288-pin DDR4

Since the 1.70 notes mention changes to RAM compatibility I would bet that the changes made cause the bios to be incompatible with my RAMs.

Edited by centaur555 - 10 Nov 2015 at 6:38pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 1:49am
Originally posted by centaur555 centaur555 wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The problem was not with the update process, as I have had a success message.

The problem was that when I've clicked the success message away the system rebooted and got into a loop of restarts, so I had nothing else to do than to turn off the PC.

I was now able to recover the old bios and it works fine.

I still wonder why Bios 1.70 is not working on my system, as it's faily standard:

Asrock Z170 Extreme4+
Core i7 6700K Cpu
MSI Geforce 970 Video card
Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD
2x Kingston HyperX HX426C15FBK2/16 16GB kit (2x8GB) 2666MHz 1.2V, 288-pin DDR4

Since the 1.70 notes mention changes to RAM compatibility I would bet that the changes made cause the bios to be incompatible with my RAMs.

Ok I understand, sorry I missed that! Embarrassed

I've had that issue too, on a different board, where the PC just starts and shuts off over and over after the UEFI/BIOS update.

I do not believe that the problem is now a compatibility problem with your memory.

Why that happens is not clear to me. In my situation, I had the CSM option disabled, and it seems a UEFI/BIOS update does not like to be done with that option set to disabled.

What I did to overcome it was while the PC was on during the on - off cycle, was press the Reset button on the PC. That helped sometimes, but not always, but is worth doing and is safe to do.

Another thing I did that helped me, and is normally something that is not recommended, is I pressed the UEFI/BIOS clear button while the PC was in the on - off cycle.

Your board has a BIOS reset button on the board's IO panel. So you can easily press that without opening up the PC.

You could also try turning off the PSU, since the BIOS update was complete, there is no danger in doing that.

Let us know what happens. I really don't think the 1.70 UEFI has changed the memory compatibility. If it did, you would see a POST code on the Dr. Debug display of 50 or 54, and the PC would not shut off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centaur555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 2:48am
Something very very weird has just happened.

I've tried again to flash the 1.70.

Success message, then the boot loop as before.

Due to your suggestion I've pressed the Clear CMOS Button on the IO Panel.

That didn't help right away, so I switched the PSU off.

Turned it on again, but the PC didn't go on. Switched off again, try to turn to no avail.

Switched off, waited 2 minutes, tried to switch on - nothing.

Was really worried that the MB was somehow damaged and I would have a lot of mess replacing it (removing, installing CPU etc).

Then I have used the jumper on the MB to clear CMOS. Turned ON the PSU and the PC turned on, and went into the bootloop. Ok, at least it's in half-working state again.

I've got a phone call so was busy for 20 minutes. Came back and I see  Windows 10 has booted! Did a shutdown. Turned the PC on and could enter the BIOS, and I see 1.70 as version. Configured Bios, saved, and Windows 10 booted again.

So it's working now. All very weird, and I'm afraid to do an UEFI update ever again! I hope I don't need to do it anytime soon!

p.s.

CSM was always on.

Edited by centaur555 - 11 Nov 2015 at 3:41am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:08am
That is great news Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic