ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock D1800M - GTX 950 dont run - why not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock D1800M - GTX 950 dont run - why not?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 1:37am
Hello,

now, i have a brandnew board D1800M and find no way to lets run my brand new GTX950. Driver a.s.o. are ok, the card is found. GPUZ show they, but i cant the the freuquences of gpu and ram.

What is the reason? The really small interface PCIe x2 Gen2? Waht can i do? I like the little board.

Thx for your help

Brooker
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 1:59am
What do you mean by it doesn't run? Games won't play?
brooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 2:07am
... yes, no 3d application runs.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by brooker brooker wrote:

Hello,

now, i have a brandnew board D1800M and find no way to lets run my brand new GTX950. Driver a.s.o. are ok, the card is found. GPUZ show they, but i cant the the freuquences of gpu and ram.

What is the reason? The really small interface PCIe x2 Gen2? Waht can i do? I like the little board.

Thx for your help

Brooker

You have an ASRock D1800M board, right?

This is the specification for the PCIE2, PCIe x16 slot (x16 being the physical connection, not the electrical PCIe lane connection):

1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2 @ x1 mode)

Check the specifications, the Slots row:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/D1800M/?cat=Specifications

That's one PCIe 2.0 lane. A single PCIe Gen2 lane, not two as you wrote in your first post.

Your GTX950 video card is capable of using a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot that can supply 16 Gen3 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

Most gamers will tell you that using PCIe 3.0 x8 (eight Gen3 PCIe lanes) will give you the full performance from a video card.

But not only do you only have a Gen2 electrical connection (Gen2 = 5Gbits/second, Gen3 = 8Gbits/second), you only have ONE PCIe 2.0 lane.

Your board is only supplying 7.8% of the data to and from your card, compared to a PCIe 3.0 x8 connection, sorry to say. It might be even half of that since you only have one PCIe lane, not two.

That board is not designed at all to be used for a gaming PC. You would get better graphics performance using the Intel integrated graphics than any video card on that board. I'm surprised the video card even works at all.

What can you do? Nothing besides getting a different board, I am sorry to say.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 4:17pm
I have tested my N3150M board with a GTX 960 and that was able to run games and such without issue but only after I installed MSI Afterburner and set the power limit to 70%. You can find my review on the board here. From what I was able to determine during testing the SoC board was unable to provide enough power for the GPU to properly function but rather than give up I decided to try a few things to see if I could make it work. The only thing that worked was MSI afterburner and the 70% power limit. The N3150M also uses a single PCIe Gen2 lane for the x16 slot.

Now the GTX 950 needs a little less power than the GTX 960 but it may still be too much for the board to provide. You can try my afterburner method and see if that helps. You should also be sure to remove all previous graphics drivers, both intel and Nvidia using DDU (display driver uninstaller) from safe mode. To enter safe mode from windows 8 and above you need to run "msconfig.exe" then under boot options check safe mode then apply and exit. Once you have run DDU in safe mode you may need to run msconfig.exe again and uncheck safe mode then reboot. At this point you will want to install the latest Nvidia drivers for your card.

I say all this because I had issues making my 960 work in conjunction with the intel iGPU drivers for my system. Once I had removed them I was able to get the system working. 

While it is true that your GPU will be bottlenecked by the single PCIe Gen2 lane I noted only about a 10 - 20% bottleneck in my testing depending on the title. This is still a lot better than the iGPU. The performance on the CPU side of the celeron J1800 will be significantly less than my quad core celeron N3150 but should still be up to the task of handling the GTX 950 and most games (with the exception of those needing a quad core).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 4:27pm
My 2cents ...... Get a new motherboard.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

My 2cents ...... Get a new motherboard.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

That entirely depends on if he can get the 950 working and what application he has planned for the PC. The D1800M is certainly under-powered for current gen games, even with the GTX 950 but is more than adequate for MMOs, older titles and even some newer titles at reduced quality settings. Personally I would upgrade to at least the N3150 assuming power consumption and form factor were factors in choosing the D1800M. My testing of the N3150 showed it to be a competent gamer when fitted with a decent discrete GPU (such as the GTX 950). If power consumption and form factor are not an issue then it would be better to go with something like an FM2+ platform and a cheap quad core FM2 Athlon or A8/A10 APU. 4 cores is all that most current games need and intel's quad core options outside of SoCs are very pricey by comparison to the FM2/+ offerings.

These SoC setups are not for everyone, you either love them or you hate them. I love them as they are interesting and pack a lot of punch within a tiny power envelope. I use mine as a media center and light gamer on its iGPU. It plays all my old favorites at decent settings @720p without issue. I may pick up an R7 250 or GTX 750/950 for it at some later date as I feel these GPUs would be the upper limit of what the system could handle before you get into the realms where you payed for X performance but are getting X-30% or more. Based on my testing the N3150M shouldn't bottleneck an r7 250/x by any significant amount.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic