ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Killer SLI/ac will not POST or boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rmcgarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcgarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Killer SLI/ac will not POST or boot
    Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:25am
The problem has been solved.

The fix was just to update the BIOS/UEFI version. I found that it was at P4.61. I put in a new Ryzen 1200, hooked a DVI cable to the dedicated video card, and flashed the BIOS version to version 5.10, and then to version 5.40. It is now running.

I tried to install the BIOS driver for the similarly named (but wrong) X370 Killer SLI, but that failed with "No image file detected". Unsurprisingly, you need to have the BIOS for the correct motherboard or it just won't work.

To datonyb and jdillipl, thank you very much for responding.
rmcgarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcgarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:02am
Originally posted by jdillipl jdillipl wrote:

I apologize; I misread the CPU number you are using. Yes it should give video through the on-board video ports. I have seen posts here were there was video out the DVI port but not the HDMI port. Just something to keep in mind.

Jake

No need to apologize.    It was a good thought and I appreciate the help.

I wish it came with a VGA/DVI port. They make troubleshooting a lot easier.
rmcgarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcgarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:56am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

if it was new(old stock) it will have very early bios circa ryzen launch
and in no way will suport the 2200/2400/3200/3400 g apus
it will have a sticker on the bios chip on the board to show what version the factory shipped it with expect something like 1.6 on the sticker
meaning ...yes you guessed it version 1.6

its a small chip and will 'probably' be near the pcie x16 slots

ignore the above post that you need a gpu , your correct the 3200g has its own vega cores inside (this is the actual idea for the 'g' type ryzens)

as for cost to flash bios
local pc shop should be more like 20-30 bucks (and if its a decent one would do the job for free ,afterall this is how you build a business customer base ,flashing a bios that dosnt cost you anything may net you years of custom and recommendations )

or plan b grab a second hand ryzen 1200 or 1300 flash it then resell it on ebay

plan c is the worst option
amd will send you out a loaner cpu to flash it with ,but you have to raise a support ticket, send in proof of purchase and wait for one to be shipped

one last 'thought' the x370 killer is at least 2 years old now , im surprised newegg had one sat there for that time , what we can conclude from that is anyones 'best' guess......... was it ex-display that got lost in a stock room?, was it an old return? it just seems very unusual that in two years they didnt just discount it to move stock if it was on a shelf

Thanks.

It was discounted a decent amount. In hindsight yes, we probably should have paid another $35 for the X450 Master motherboard instead, but between our budget and Newegg's return policy, we're stuck with this motherboard.

The sticker BIOS version was released in November 2017, so it was manufactured at most 2 years ago. Given the source, the condition of the box, the lack of dust, the intact packing materials, and all the loose bagged parts and materials still inside the box, I am pretty sure it was just sitting on the shelves the past 18 months. I honestly have no reservations about buying an older motherboard for the price we got it at. It's still going to be a lot faster than what it's replacing.

The local PC shop said they'd flash it for $25. I've instead bought a Ryzen 1200 for a bit more than that, and we will use it to flash the BIOS tonight.   

Thank you for your help so far.
jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 4:23am
I apologize; I misread the CPU number you are using. Yes it should give video through the on-board video ports. I have seen posts here were there was video out the DVI port but not the HDMI port. Just something to keep in mind.

Jake
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:13am
Originally posted by rmcgarry rmcgarry wrote:

The motherboard was bought brand new from newegg. Box was not sealed, but there weren't any stickers to break, and all the parts were there. The motherboard was zip-tied in foam tubing.

Nothing is installed, we just bought it, but thanks for the warning about the drivers.

I would like to know if it's the BIOS before I pay $100 to a pc shop and it doesn't fix the problem. (Might as well pay for the chip outright then)

Thanks

if it was new(old stock) it will have very early bios circa ryzen launch
and in no way will suport the 2200/2400/3200/3400 g apus
it will have a sticker on the bios chip on the board to show what version the factory shipped it with expect something like 1.6 on the sticker
meaning ...yes you guessed it version 1.6

its a small chip and will 'probably' be near the pcie x16 slots

ignore the above post that you need a gpu , your correct the 3200g has its own vega cores inside (this is the actual idea for the 'g' type ryzens)

as for cost to flash bios
local pc shop should be more like 20-30 bucks (and if its a decent one would do the job for free ,afterall this is how you build a business customer base ,flashing a bios that dosnt cost you anything may net you years of custom and recommendations )

or plan b grab a second hand ryzen 1200 or 1300 flash it then resell it on ebay

plan c is the worst option
amd will send you out a loaner cpu to flash it with ,but you have to raise a support ticket, send in proof of purchase and wait for one to be shipped

one last 'thought' the x370 killer is at least 2 years old now , im surprised newegg had one sat there for that time , what we can conclude from that is anyones 'best' guess......... was it ex-display that got lost in a stock room?, was it an old return? it just seems very unusual that in two years they didnt just discount it to move stock if it was on a shelf
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
rmcgarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcgarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 4:04am
[URL=https://forum.asrock.com]Not sure why the links didn't come through the right way...[/URL]
rmcgarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcgarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 3:01am
My son has a video card ready to go, but we thought we'd leave it out until we get the system working properly.

Frankly, your post confuses me a bit. AMD Ryzen "APU"'s has a built-in Radeon Vega 11, which is why AMD calls it an "APU", instead of just a "CPU". The motherboard has an integrated HDMI port. [URL=https://gizmodo.com/amds-newest-processors-are-so-good-you-can-skip-the-gra-1822920100]This link on gizmodo [/URL] says that we can "skip the graphics card" because the the Ryzen 2000 series has a decent video capabilities built in.

[URL=https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-3400g-review,1.html]Guru3d [/URL] says the 3400G is essentially an overclocked 2400G, and doesn't need a dedicated graphics card.

ASRock's website for the motherboard has a section dedicated to [URL=https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.asp#Specification]graphics in the specifications tab[/URL].

That being said, I will still try throwing the dedicated graphics card in and see what happens.
rmcgarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcgarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 2:43am
The motherboard was bought brand new from newegg. Box was not sealed, but there weren't any stickers to break, and all the parts were there. The motherboard was zip-tied in foam tubing.

Nothing is installed, we just bought it, but thanks for the warning about the drivers.

I would like to know if it's the BIOS before I pay $100 to a pc shop and it doesn't fix the problem. (Might as well pay for the chip outright then)

Thanks
jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 2:33am
What video card do you have installed? I did not see anything about one. The Asrock system boards do not have video chips on them, and the CPU you are using does not have that function in it either. So if you are connecting the monitor to the system board video out connectors, this is expected behavior. If you have a spare PCIe video card available, install it and connect the monitor to it.

Jake
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 2:23am
whats the history of the x370 killer ?

was it yours / any idea what bios version ?

also to note there is warnings in the bios sections to make sure you have microsoft windows driver XXXX or newer as this will cause a display issue if you flash to newer bios

ASSUMING you dont know what bios version ,and its an older one you will have to flash bios

so either borrow a ryzen 1XXX or get a local pc shop to flash it for you
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic