ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can't increase UMA buffer size past 2 Gb with GPU
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't increase UMA buffer size past 2 Gb with GPU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulpie05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't increase UMA buffer size past 2 Gb with GPU
    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 10:07am
As I have hinted at in previous posts, I had a problem recently when I upgraded my computer:

Motherboard: B450 Pro4, bios version 3.50.
CPU: Ryzen 2200G
Memory: 2 x 8 GB G. Skill Flare X 3200 CL14
GPU (new to system): Asus ROG Strix 1660 Ti O6G-Gaming

The system was working just fine before I installed the GPU. I had recently increase the dedicated APU memory up to 3 GB as per the FAQ (integrated graphics controller set to Forces, UMA mode to "UMA_Specified", UMA Version to "Auto", and UMA Frame Buffer Size to "3G"). I also had the UMA frame buffer size set to "auto" under the Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration. However, once I installed the 1660 Ti, I could not get the computer to post. I thought I may have installed the card wrong or something. I move the GPU to the other slot, swapped memory around, nothing worked. I then cleared the CMOS, and I got it to post. When I got both the 1660 Ti and the 2200G graphics working together (I crunch with both GPUs using BOINC), I set the dedicated video memory in bios back to 2G. Fast forward to today, I set the memory up to 3G, and the same problem happened, I couldn't post and had to clear the CMOS to get everything working again.

I have a feeling this is a bug and not a feature. Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong? I don't see why I can't use more memory for the 2200G than the default 2 Gb whether I have a discrete GPU or not. I also don't understand why the UMA frame buffer size is located in two spots of the bios (and one of them is limited only up to 2G). I was planning on contacting tech support, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has a thought of what might be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic