ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

NVMe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preproman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NVMe
    Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 2:37am
Can someone provide a list of motherboards that supports the boot function of the SSD added card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167300
Thanks
Darryl
Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:48pm
preproman,

A better option these days is to consider the Samsung 950 Pro, an M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 drive.  It's a small stick and tucks away between PCIe slots or on the underside of small motherboards.  In contrast, the Intel 750 is much larger and takes up a PCIe slot.

Just take a look at today's Z170 or H170 motherboards (support Skylake processors) and all (most) include M.2 slots or slot .  A downside, I think, the largest capacity Samsung 950 Pro is currently 512 GB, but that could change.  The Samsung 950 Pro is the way to go, if it fits your needs.

Dan

Later Edit:  Of related interest, take a look at Parsec's post, above, titled "How to Install Windows on a PCIe SSD."  These Samsung 950 Pro SSDs  also are bootable.

Edited by Dan - 19 Nov 2015 at 10:07pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 10:23am
Originally posted by preproman preproman wrote:

Can someone provide a list of motherboards that supports the boot function of the SSD added card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167300

I wish I had that list in my back pocket. Wink

You are asking about the Intel 750 series of NVMe SSDs. Add In Cards (AIC) can also be adapter cards for use with M.2 SSDs, as Dan said. AIC adapters can also be used with PCIe AHCI SSDs.

Since you asked about a specific type of AIC PCIe SSD, the NVMe type, I will talk about those only.

The main thing a mother board needs to support booting an OS from PCIe NVMe SSD is support for NVMe SSDs in the UEFI/BIOS.

That assumes that nothing different is done with the PCIe slot lane connections in newer mother boards, compared to older boards. I do not know if anything has been changed about the PCIe lane connections. I do not think there are any differences, but IF there was, older boards (five or more years old) would not be bootable from an Intel 750

Due to that possibility, and other reasons, only newer mother boards should be considered for use with AIC PCIe NVMe SSDs (Attack of the acronyms Geek ) as the OS drive.

Looking at Intel boards, the models that will most likely have support for booting Windows from these SSDs would be the ASRock Z170, Z97, and X99 boards. But how do we confirm that?

There are three ways to do that, the first one being the best method of confirming a board can boot an OS from a PCIe NVMe SSD. All of these methods use the ASRock product page for each of their mother boards to find the information:

1. In the Specifications page, in the Slots and/or Storage sections, look for this: *Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks.
  2. In the Storage Support List page, locate the PCIe SSD you want to use. NOTE: That list may not be up to date. For example, the Samsung SM951 and 950 Pro NVMe SSDs are not listed in my Z170 Extreme7+ board's Storage Support List. I know they both may be used as the OS drive.
  3. In the Download section, BIOS Download page, check the Description column for Add NVME support. This method is the one to use for boards that are older than the latest models/chipset currently available. For example, my Z97 Extreme6 board only has the Add NVME support information available. The latest Intel chipset is the 100 series, so the Intel 9 series chipset is not the latest and is slightly older.
I can tell you that all the ASRock Intel 100 series chipset boards (Z170, H170, Q170, and H110) support booting from an NVMe SSD.

I checked all 55 of the ASRock 100 series chipset boards using method 1. They all passed that test.

Who wants to continue with the X99 and Z97 boards? Wacko
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic