ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASrock Z170 OC Formula and Thunderbolt integration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASrock Z170 OC Formula and Thunderbolt integration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio Stew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASrock Z170 OC Formula and Thunderbolt integration
    Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 6:13pm
Hi guys

This question is from a music creation background, not a gaming PC question.
As a windows user the audio interface market has just started to offer Thunderbolt interfaces which promise ultra low latency performance which would be perfect for recording live instruments with audio FX without the horrible delay of going through the Analog to Digital then Digital to Analog converters.

As i'm looking to build a new PC based on the Z170 chipset my search for a motherboard that features both a Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 3 header brought to me to just motherboard, the Z170 OC Formula.
Yes there are a few boards from Gigabyte but they feature only Thunderbolt 3 via the USB Type C 3.1 connection, my Focusrite Clarett 8Pre audio interface doesn't have a USB Type C connection, its just got the Thunderbolt 2 port and as of November 2015 there isn't an adapter cable available.

So, after lots of searching i've found three Thunderbolt 2 Add In cards, the Gigabyte GC Card, which is supported by only Gigabyte boards, the Asus Thunderbolt EXII card, an Asus only card and, after lots of searching, the Asrock Thunderbolt 2 AIC.
I was all set to purchase both the motherboard and the card but looking at the spec of the card it does not mention that the OC Formula board is supported by yet there are a few other ASRock z170 boards that it does support.
Any ideas if the card would work with that board? Would be good if an ASRock official could confirm thanks
Audio Stew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio Stew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 6:15pm
Just did another check on the thunderbolt card and ASRock must have updated the website as the OC Formula is now supported.
Has anyone used one of these Thunderbult cards and can they report on the reliability and performance?
I cant find anyone who sells them in the UK so might have to import from USA
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 9:11pm
The below folks are my goto guys for quality cards.

Thankfully they have a list of TB cards that are more than the three you found. Hopefully you can source one locally there in the UK.

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/charts/thunderbolt/
Dubhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 9:15am
Audio Stew,
   I too was looking to setup my new ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ and Thunderbolt 2 AIC to work with my newly purchased Resident Audio T4 Audio Interface  but have yet to get this working properly yet.  I have some clues about setup from the manual of course as well as some other ideas from the forums about the ideal PCIe slot to use, but still not getting it to work properly.  It seems to be detected properly by the BIOS (can change settings for it which appears to alter its behavior) and the driver that allows you to "enable" Thunderbolt devices from the OS that sits in the system tray also seems to be working properly BUT when I plug in a standard TB 1 external drive or the T4 audio interface, they do not seem to be detected, even when the correct drivers for these devices are installed.  Hopefully this isn't a driver incompatibility error for the T4 audio interface which is supposed to work with Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 without issues.  The T4 interface plugs right into my Macbook Air laptop via Thunderbolt and works great with no fuss.  Looks like Thunderbolt and this card will require more massaging to get it working.  Just be warned this card is likely not plug and play for the audio solution you are looking for but if/when it works the low latency through the TB interface is going to be great as I can vouch for that with this audio interface on my Macbook Air.  Will probably put up another post specifically about this, but my time to troubleshoot issues like this is limited so my progress on these issues suffers as well.

~Dubhead Cool
Dubhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 3:09pm
Quick update:
  • Got Thunderbolt 2 AIC card "working" in PCIe slot 3 (only)
  • Plugged in LaCie Rugged Mini 1TB Thunderbolt-USB 3.0 Hard Drive - recognized, approved, Thunderbolt certified for PC yet does not mount
  • Plugged in Resident Audio T4 Thunderbolt audio interface - recognized, approved, Thunderbold certified for PC yet does not allow drivers to properly install (hangs during installation)
Overall, pretty unimpressed at how poorly this whole implementation with this card has worked out.  Not really sure why a Thunderbolt storage drive won't mount, the drive is formatted NTFS (not exFAT or HFS+).  The audio interface is more disappointing as it was the main reason for the choice of mobo and the AIC card.  Emailed Resident Audio and no response.  Utterly worthless.  Looks like I will have to provide more negative feedback to elicit any further response.  Maybe Intel updates drivers for the AIC card in future to allow better compatibility or otherwise.
eComposer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eComposer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:56am
Dubhead:

Did you have any luck with your installation?

I've been running the T4 via the ASRock AIC card with thunderbolt 2 capability.

General Question to Anyone Who can help:

While the sound that comes through is the best I've heard on a PC, I do find weird latency issues, but I'm suspecting these stem from the CPU getting jammed with microsoft and security software services that report and saturate the TCP IP, and lock up the i7 7700K CPU with crap.

Honestly, without this, this combination of T4 and AIC card seems to work really well.

I know the CPU is not overloaded as the individual cores don't even break 25% utilization, yet once I have a lot of tracks (say 50-100) all with compressors, EQ, and other processing (Reverb and Delay send tracks that cover buses esp) gets my DAW to the 100% mark, while the latency issues are mainly TCP IP and some other ridiculous and non essential Microsoft services (which I try to turn off and even went into the registry to kill some), and things like vsmon.exe for Zone Alarm security.

At the same time, if I have much loaded up, this also drives the recording latency up.  If I shut down everything that is unnecessarily in  task-manager, startup, etc, this helps, but still I have to streamline my recording projects with minimal processing to get the latency to an acceptable level.  This kind of defies the benefit of Thunderbolt 2, and makes me think there is a software or weird mix of factors effecting the audio latency.

Any ideas on this please?
Dubhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 10:07am
eComposer,
   Glad to hear you had better luck with your T4....you must be running on Windows 8.1 as I understand the drivers are completely incompatible with Windows 10 and Resident Audio will not be doing further development to assist that issue.  Had thought about making a Windows 8.1 VM and seeing if that would work but it may introduce a host of other complications.  May also get a separate cheapo SSD and install Windows 8.1 directly there and boot to that drive and see if I can't get the RA T4 working with the AIC card after all.
     On another note, still have not had any luck with the AIC card recognizing any storage drives using Thunderbolt that are connected to it either.  Really not sure why there are so many issues and it has been some time since I spent time with it troubleshooting and had moved onto other things.
    You may be on to something regarding why the latency starts to get worse with other things running in the OS.  It shouldn't require that you shut everything down just to lower latency though...seems like bad driver software IMO. 
   On a positive note, I still am able to use the RA T4 box with my MacBook Air without any issues and very very low latency....just had hoped to be able to move between machines and OS's originally.

Dubhead
eComposer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eComposer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Dubhead Dubhead wrote:

eComposer,
   Glad to hear you had better luck with your T4....you must be running on Windows 8.1 as I understand the drivers are completely incompatible with Windows 10 and Resident Audio will not be doing further development to assist that issue.  Had thought about making a Windows 8.1 VM and seeing if that would work but it may introduce a host of other complications.  May also get a separate cheapo SSD and install Windows 8.1 directly there and boot to that drive and see if I can't get the RA T4 working with the AIC card after all.
     On another note, still have not had any luck with the AIC card recognizing any storage drives using Thunderbolt that are connected to it either.  Really not sure why there are so many issues and it has been some time since I spent time with it troubleshooting and had moved onto other things.
    You may be on to something regarding why the latency starts to get worse with other things running in the OS.  It shouldn't require that you shut everything down just to lower latency though...seems like bad driver software IMO. 
   On a positive note, I still am able to use the RA T4 box with my MacBook Air without any issues and very very low latency....just had hoped to be able to move between machines and OS's originally.

Dubhead
Hi Dubhead,

Actually I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 64 Home, and recently took the plunge with the "Creator Edition".

The T4 works well, in fact very well, and never had an issue with the AIC card.  I note a lot of people have issues if the BIOS is not configured correctly.  If you want to have a crack at getting it to run on PC again, I'd be glad to help if I can.

Key thing is to update the BIOS to the latest version if possible (Helps if you go Kaby Lake i7 7700K for example).

You MUST enable Thunderbolt there.  You also must use the AIC card in the specified slot that is capable and connect to the specified header to make this work, AND run the Thunderbolt software to make this happen, AND install the T4 Windows driver.

Interesting to hear Resident aren't updating the driver.  It seems to work fine in Windows 10 for me interestingly.

Please note though, I'm running the ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ board (thinking of upgrading to the Z370 class soon, apparently there are real advantages including better CPU performance).

For me, with Music mixing with multiple channels (50-100 or more sometimes), then you need the I/O grunt to try to run sequentially real time, vs background rendering, two very different things.  This actually means you need to avoid anything that can lock up a core. 

When this happens, it only needs to lock out and delay one key thing to screw the whole real time playback/recording which is a real pain, as often it is the most stupid Microsoft dumb monitoring/reporting BS driver/service that just happens to lock up one key core and destroy everything and cause pops, cracks and freezing. 

I HATE that, and get pretty annoyed when I see TCP IP flood with Microsoft and other irrelevant and annoying activities that saturate the I/O for NO good reason other than to screw up my DAW.  So ridiculous, and very hard to eradicate without causing other problems.  I don't like to have to mess with the registry if I can avoid it, and frankly I shouldn't have to do this.

I couldn't give a stuff about a stupid Microsoft monitoring service reporting a minor crash of an irrelevant Microsoft service I don't want or need, and why they make it so hard to remove such glaring redundancy and performance sucking badly written code is an affront to anyone wanting to mix/record/master music.  It's like they are deliberately sabotaging us!  LOL

I wish there was a "nuke" program you could run that would permanently remove all redundant and unnecessary crap so that I can just run my DAW optimally with no page or I/O issues caused by this layer of irrelevant and counterproductive drivers and services that lock up my CPU and network!  :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic